Got a little carried away - time to customize

Thanks! New baby is due July 27th, one day before my own birthday, so whatever madness occurs has to be done by then, or I'll forget where everything goes.

Hi there :thumbsup:.
I am reading this story/post.... and feel like I am reading a bit of my own story...
I as well am about to chop an 83 DOHC.....
and my youngest son was born the day before my Birthday... LOL...
sorry, I will continue reading now. :bike:

Good luck - after 1, I was able to work on the bike still. With 2 kids in the house, I seem to have run out of time...

I feel like I'm already running out of time and my #2 gets here in January. (hence my lack of posts on here)

Yikes:eek:

Make a plan, and stick to it. I didn't stick to mine, hence no bike. I have time to ride, which is the real shame of it - just not a bike in good enough shape to ride on.

..... and my youngest son was born the day before my Birthday ... LOL ... :bike:
Good luck - ... With 2 kids in the house, I seem to have run out of time...
I feel like I'm already running out of time and my #2 gets here in January... Yikes:eek:
Must be something in the water - bikers are blatantly and bountifully breeding like bunnies then begetting and boldly boasting about it to boot. :yikes:

^^ love it.

Posting on my build thread tonight. Made some head way on the tear down. The 2yr old helped. Lol

I now this thread has been dead for a bit, but I was really hoping to see a photo of the final bike?
You ended at a crucial point, and I'm sure it turned out awesome! Any progress?

You do know that play pens can go out to the garage, right? Let the rug-rats watch and learn! And don't forget to play loud music, have a calendar and posters of scantily clad ladies, drink beer, and cuss like a red-neck!

Your wife will make time in her schedule for your wrenching the first time she sees this... ;)

Thats a bummer. I was liking the build, but I totally understand the build taking a back seat to parenting. Good luck, and dont be discouraged you will get to it eventually.

Thanks! The tank is not currently protected, but the plan is to use a semi-transparent paint like what they use to darken tail lights, and then a two part clear coat. Should come out as a candy silver colour.

Hey man im looking at doing a very similar mod to my bike where did you get the clip ons from and where have to put all the wiring and battery from when you took your air box out? Thanks remember Shiny Side Up

The Clipons were cheap ones from Partsnmore - I'm happy with the quality, given the price. A little more adjustability would be lost, unless I replace the tank, as the tank is so wide at the front.

Battery is going to go on the flat part at the front of the swingarm, or possibly under the back of the battery. I'm still playing with how I want that much to look.

Wiring is a bit of a problem right now. There's so much of it! I'll likely end up shortening the harness, but I need to place the battery first.

Electrolysis.

A quick update. After my last cleaning of the tank, I must not have fully dried it, because when I opened the tank this Spring, it was full of bad gas, floating brown things, and gunk in general. A little bit of research online seemed to indicate that electrolysis might be the next solution.

Here's how it works (and I recommend looking this up for a far better full writeup.) Connect the negative lead from a battery or car charger to the tank. Connect the positive lead to an old piece of iron or steel, and suspend the resulting anode in the tank where it doesn't touch anything. Fill the tank with water and an electrolyte (I used salt at first, which really ate the anode. I then made my own washing soda by baking some baking soda (really,) and that's working much better.

The first few days, I just got black crud attracted to my anode. Like really smelly, gross black crud. After 4 days or so, I started getting brown crud (rust), and some white crud (no idea.) The amount of crud I'm pulling out of the tank is pretty amazing...

I'll post some pictures soon. But take this as notice, I'm back to working on the project!

Back