Got an antigravity battery. How do I extend cables to it?

Ezetman

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I searched for a cable extension thread elsewhere in the forums but couldn't find one so I thought I'd ask everyone. How did you guys manage to move your battery around?
I'm trying to place mine under the cowl of my cafe racer seat and it fits fine as far as size, I got an 8cell antigravity pack, but I need a much longer negative cable to reach the engine block. (I shouldn't ground elsewhere right?). I can stretch the positive cable just fine but there is this other cable from the starter that goes to this element ( IMG_0282.JPG ) that I'd like to extend as well. Here are some other photos of the cables. What is it called to see if I can find where to shop for it.

IMG_0283.JPG IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0284.JPG

Thanks in advance!
Ezequiel.

That is the starter relay. so your choice is to find appropriate gauge wire, and just get one with the same holes that is as long as you need. you could for a temp solution, add a thick gauge cable for 4 to 6 inches just see if you have enough room, then get the right cable afterwards. In Miami you should have a decent auto store with options for you. (use a bolt to tightly mash the ends together)

That is the starter relay. so your choice is to find appropriate gauge wire, and just get one with the same holes that is as long as you need. you could for a temp solution, add a thick gauge cable for 4 to 6 inches just see if you have enough room, then get the right cable afterwards. In Miami you should have a decent auto store with options for you. (use a bolt to tightly mash the ends together)
Thanks for the info, but now I have more questions! Here is a picture of an attempt to trying to figure out the gauge. IMG_0291.JPG which reads 13/32" ~ 10.32 mm.
would that measurement help me find the right type of cable? I read a better method is to measure a single strand and multiply but that's just impossible to figure out on the state of that cable. Unless I cut it which I rather not.
My follow up question is: is the "default/stock" ground cable from the battery the same gauge/type of cable? Here is a photo of it image.jpg which is the right length that I need to extend the starter cable. If they are compatible, I could just bolt them together and then plug and play right? (I know I'm being too hopeful but it may just work!)
Last dumb question, how about the ground battery cable then? If it isn't the same as the starter, what is it? Cause I still need to ground my battery with a longer cable.

Thanks a million, I am trying to finish my build this month and I couldn't have gotten this far without your help!

Ezequiel.

Having a look at mine it appears the starter wire is actually braided. Braided starter replacement is available but a #6 or even #8 AWG wire should suffice.
I'd try to get fine stranded welding cable as it's more flexible, less susceptible to vibrations and crimps well.

Also, would this fit in a 1977?
I think that one was suggested in a previous thread but nobody wound up buying it.
Based on the model years listed it looks like it'd be based on the DOHC charging system. There are some slight differences, possibly enough that it'd fry like the only review mentions.
Possible it could be made to work but without more information from the manufacturer I wouldn't risk frying one.

Having a look at mine it appears the starter wire is actually braided. Braided starter replacement is available but a #6 or even #8 AWG wire should suffice.
I'd try to get fine stranded welding cable as it's more flexible, less susceptible to vibrations and crimps well.
Awesome, thanks. How about the battery ground cable, is it the same specs?

I think that one was suggested in a previous thread but nobody wound up buying it.
Based on the model years listed it looks like it'd be based on the DOHC charging system. There are some slight differences, possibly enough that it'd fry like the only review mentions.
Possible it could be made to work but without more information from the manufacturer I wouldn't risk frying one.
How about this one?
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...sport-industries-rectifier-regulator?m=147214
Price is a little high compared to what others go for but it is the only one I found that fits my bike as per the manufacturer's specs.

we can not see what your doing, our assumption is you are moving something further from where it was originally. How far over, and if you are hiding the wire, or running it so it is unnotice, so we have no real idea where your going. for starters, use a a rope, or if you have romex lying around, trim that to the exact size you need. then go to the local auto repair store, napa, petpoys, orielly's, .... and aske them for a braided #6 or 8 ground cable.

All the romex (household wire) is that it will sit still while you mold to fit where you think you want the new wire to go. Then get the right wire from the store. The lower the number, the bigger the wire is. (romex is typically 12-14 gauge)

I bought one from a different company, the wire's were not a correct match, I had to repin the connector. ultimately I kept it in for the rectifier, but the VR didn't work, so now I have a VR from Oriellys.

Tobie

we can not see what your doing, our assumption is you are moving something further from where it was originally. How far over, and if you are hiding the wire, or running it so it is unnotice, so we have no real idea where your going. for starters, use a a rope, or if you have romex lying around, trim that to the exact size you need. then go to the local auto repair store, napa, petpoys, orielly's, .... and aske them for a braided #6 or 8 ground cable.

All the romex (household wire) is that it will sit still while you mold to fit where you think you want the new wire to go. Then get the right wire from the store. The lower the number, the bigger the wire is. (romex is typically 12-14 gauge)

I bought one from a different company, the wire's were not a correct match, I had to repin the connector. ultimately I kept it in for the rectifier, but the VR didn't work, so now I have a VR from Oriellys.

Tobie
That is exactly what I am doing, thanks for the info!

Back