H-PIPE

Michielk

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As you can see in my other thread I'm almost finishing my custom XS400. I wanted a café-racer styled bike with a clear/empty triangle with normally houses the airfilters and battery on a stock bike. All my electronics are mounted invisibly inside a custom built seat-pan. All cables were also modified or custom made to keep everything as clean as possible.

To achieve the desired look I went with UNI pod filters mounted directly onto the carbs, without the H-pipe. I’ve read and received advice that says the engine would run smoother/better with the H-pipe in place. My engine was rebuilt and seemed to idle and run fine on the testing table (just a few minutes at a time) with the standard jetting on the carbs, with the UNI pods directly mounted without the H-pipe. I don’t really care for reaching the top performance of the bike, I’m a pretty calm rider. So I’d thought I’d just start without the H-pipe, against all advice and just see how well the engine runs. I figured it couldn’t really damage the bike/engine and I could just go back and fit the H-pipe if I run into trouble.

But recently I read that not using the H-pipe could result in melting the pistons of the engine? What would explain this disaster?

I never considered that running the engine like this (stock jetting, air pods without H-pipe) could possibly damage the engine. I see a lot of bikes online without the H-pipe… how big is this risk? Again, I’m not interested in reaching maximum performance, BHP from the engine… I probably won’t ever reach top end of the bike or even rev it up to its max. I rode a Suzuki DRZ400SM (single cylinder) before and was quite happy with the power of the bike, I never felt I wanted to accelerate or drive faster (but single cylinder bikes are pretty fast to accelerate).

Do I need to be worried about destroying my engine?

Yes, for all the reasons mentioned in thousands of other posts.

The Internet is full of pics, but if you don't know what you are looking at, they are all just meaningless glamour shots. When you know, you will sneer in disgust at the garbage being passed off as "custom built" these days. Most everything featured on pipe burn, bikexif or other such fashion sites, is garbage.

See my response to your post in the other thread.
It's not that having the intake unleashes a high performance machine.
A poorly tuned bike will not be enjoyable to ride and, yes, may even cause engine damage.

Nope you won't melt your pistons...unless you are running lean and ride hard...
Harder to tune yes...impossible?...no.
The best setup is the stock setup...that being said anything else is possible,there are tradeoffs, it won't be easy it may not run its best....but you can get a decent running bike...
But saying you would melt your pistons....is a little dramatic

Hi guys,

well, I removed the airpods yesterday and fitted the H-pipe. I think it still look killer, even with the H-pipe. My filters (UNI PK92) don't fit on the H-pipe though, I'll need some PVC pipe to clamp onto and also to fill in between the H and the pods. Not much to do while waiting for paint, so I'll sort this out.

Back