1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardtailed77's "Re-build Thread"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hardtailed77, Dec 10, 2010.

1. I would hit them with a wire brush (on a die grinder or a buffing wheel if you have them, careful, they like to LAUNCH) and then rattlecan clearcoat or flat black.

You can poke a bunch of holes in an old shoebox and insert the bolts in them to hold while painting.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. volcomskater77

volcomskater77 XS400 Chopophile Top Contributor

got any pics of the yard? would love to see that too. maybe when i come down there we can stop by and ill get a legit one to take back. i wanna get my bike going just enough to make it there successfully. ill worry about the astetheticly pleasing wiring set up after. thats the least of my concerns.

3. Yeah, I think I will probably hit them with clear, then buy all new bolts next winter.
    Thanks for the tip.

4. I don't have any pics, but I will try to get a couple though. It's not even a real junkyard, just a front yard! haha He has about 100 sitting in the yard, and then a garage that is approx. 60x50 that is JAM PACKED FULL of parts! lol Pretty neat place really.

5. volcomskater77

american pickers style. i love it. i went to a guys house like that to buy some mustang stuff with my boss. his barn was filler with 5.0, lincoln and FE motors, seats, 4-speeds wheels and cars and trucks. it was really cool looking.

6. You get me a 302 and I'll get you a fake oil tank.....Deal? haha I want to put in in my Ranger!

7. volcomskater77

wat year? we have them by the gross
    lol. fox body? it doesent really matter, the blocks are all same same mostly

8. Yeah, anything would work. Don't worry about it though....I have WAY too much on my plate right now...plus the Ranger is my daily. lol

9. volcomskater77

well if you ever decide to put a 302 in it, then let me know. ill get you it and whatever else you need for it

10. sickbikers

sickbikers Southen Indiana Cafe Klub

where ya at hardtail

11. Right here! lol

12. volcomskater77

yeah not to hi-jack, but i noticed the forum was kinda dead these past five days or so. :(

13. Travis

Travis Staff Member Staff Member

Traffic isn't down.. just the posting activity.. Maybe you guys are scaring all the new guys away by making them post intros! :poke: :laugh:

Hopefully everyone is out getting their bikes ready for spring. :bike:

14. ivor

ivor XS400 Addict

For some reason, brass wire brushes work best on getting rust off steel :thumbsup:

15. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

brass is good for the alloy as well

16. Alright fellas...quick question. I bought the gas tank I mentioned in an earlier post (sorry, I didn't get time to post pics of it before leaving for work). It had a small amount of gas and what smelled like paint thinner inside, so I left it with the cap out in the rain overnight. How long would it need to "air out" before cutting in open? I plan to section it a little to follow the rails of the hardtail a little better. After I get home from work, it will have sit open for An entire month......that long enough to be able to throw some sparks inside?

17. It will be used as my electronics box, so any rust should be easy to tackle.

18. I'd just fill it with water and drain it out...should be fine?!?

19. Ok. Yeah, i left it out in the rain, then drained it before I left. It's sitting in the garage with the cap off, so I guess I will be fine. I just wasn't quite sure what was actually in the tank, so I didn't want to go lighting myself into a ball of flames! haha Thanks Skillz

20. well...be sure to video tape the process for entertainment purposes for the rest of us at least!!
    lol