Hardtailed77's "Re-build Thread"

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about the bolts. I may just sand the rust off and wipe them with WD-40 for now. Someday I will buy all stainless. I just want to get this thing on the road!! haha

I would hit them with a wire brush (on a die grinder or a buffing wheel if you have them, careful, they like to LAUNCH) and then rattlecan clearcoat or flat black.

You can poke a bunch of holes in an old shoebox and insert the bolts in them to hold while painting.

Last edited:
got any pics of the yard? would love to see that too. maybe when i come down there we can stop by and ill get a legit one to take back. i wanna get my bike going just enough to make it there successfully. ill worry about the astetheticly pleasing wiring set up after. thats the least of my concerns.

I would hit them with a wire brush (on a die grinder or a buffing wheel if you have them, careful, they like to LAUNCH) and then rattlecan clearcoat or flat black.

You can poke a bunch of holes in an old shoebox and insert the bolts in them to hold while painting.
Yeah, I think I will probably hit them with clear, then buy all new bolts next winter.
Thanks for the tip.

got any pics of the yard? would love to see that too. maybe when i come down there we can stop by and ill get a legit one to take back. i wanna get my bike going just enough to make it there successfully. ill worry about the astetheticly pleasing wiring set up after. thats the least of my concerns.
I don't have any pics, but I will try to get a couple though. It's not even a real junkyard, just a front yard! haha He has about 100 sitting in the yard, and then a garage that is approx. 60x50 that is JAM PACKED FULL of parts! lol Pretty neat place really.

american pickers style. i love it. i went to a guys house like that to buy some mustang stuff with my boss. his barn was filler with 5.0, lincoln and FE motors, seats, 4-speeds wheels and cars and trucks. it was really cool looking.

american pickers style. i love it. i went to a guys house like that to buy some mustang stuff with my boss. his barn was filler with 5.0, lincoln and FE motors, seats, 4-speeds wheels and cars and trucks. it was really cool looking.
You get me a 302 and I'll get you a fake oil tank.....Deal? haha I want to put in in my Ranger!

Traffic isn't down.. just the posting activity.. Maybe you guys are scaring all the new guys away by making them post intros! :poke: :laugh:

Hopefully everyone is out getting their bikes ready for spring. :bike:

For some reason, brass wire brushes work best on getting rust off steel :thumbsup:

Alright fellas...quick question. I bought the gas tank I mentioned in an earlier post (sorry, I didn't get time to post pics of it before leaving for work). It had a small amount of gas and what smelled like paint thinner inside, so I left it with the cap out in the rain overnight. How long would it need to "air out" before cutting in open? I plan to section it a little to follow the rails of the hardtail a little better. After I get home from work, it will have sit open for An entire month......that long enough to be able to throw some sparks inside?

Ok. Yeah, i left it out in the rain, then drained it before I left. It's sitting in the garage with the cap off, so I guess I will be fine. I just wasn't quite sure what was actually in the tank, so I didn't want to go lighting myself into a ball of flames! haha Thanks Skillz

Back