Wanted - Header pipe

Dan43

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Anybody got exhaust that will fit an 81 xs400 special? 2 into 1 would be cool but just need something in better condition than my original head pipes

The 81 used an exhaust that had mufflers and head pipe welded together. Is this your currant setup? The 77-79 xs400 had separate mufflers and head pipes also 76-77 xs360. Those are what you need if your going to use an aftermarket exhaust.

Mine had slip ons. My bike also came with a parts bike and it did have the welded muffler so maybe he swapped them. The problem with the current exhaust is the inner pipe is in terrible condition and seems to be getting worse fast. I was able to cut down on the rattle by stuffing a chore boy scrubbing pad around it but now it’s rattling towards the top. I found a set identical to mine on ebay but I’m a little hesitant to get them I asked the seller if the inner pipe was intact and he said it was a baffle. To tell you the truth I’m pretty baffled by the limited amounts of options I feel like I’ve exhausted all sources for a 2-1

21BF5313-A39B-458B-9088-19E74C3E7747.png

The pre 80 pipes are made different than the 76-79 ones. The inner pipe has a shape to it that is pressed into the outer wall. It looks like a baffel but it is the inner pipe. These head pipes are also longer thaN the cut off ones as they are setup got slip on mufflers.

I have a set that I can sell you. I will post pics later. These are the ones I have. They have the connection flanges and a set of used stock gaskets. They have surface rust on them but are solid. $70 shipped. You can see the inner pipe and how it's welded and shaped.
DSC03826.JPG DSC03827.JPG DSC03828.JPG

Last edited:
Back