Headlight and Starter not working

jcpwn3r

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I bought my XS400 a few weeks ago and the headlight never worked but the starter did. cleaned out the high/low selector switch with contact cleaner, that didn't help. Then I traced the headlight back to a relay with a yellow paint mark on it under the seat, cleaned that with contact cleaner, and another relay next to it with contact cleaner, and the headlight still didn't work AND the electric start stopped working. I removed the headlight and directly connected it to a 12v power supply and it worked perfectly, but on the bike it doesn't work. Then I found this black wire in the housing that wasn't connected to anything and is continuous with the relay that is continuous with the headlight. I replaced the relays that I cleaned with contact cleaner with new ones and nothing works still. can anyone provide any input on this? I can give any necessary info you need to help me. The picture of the wire i found in the headlight housing is attached.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 558
Two questions:

1) Was you bike made after 1978?

2) Are you testing the headlight after starting it or cranking the engine over?

Time to check the relays, and maybe a diode. Next to the battery box, is two relays, on of which will not turn on unless there is enough energy coming from the stator. Look up relays on this web site, you will find alot of stuff. generally it points to bad stator wires. Been there, fixed that. I will try to expound later.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87091&postcount=5
I remember, there is so much. This is the day I knew my headlight worked. previous I didnt know when It died. I went as far as ordered another relay. (not needed, shipped back) I swapped relays, and the headlight worked. Since i didn't know if there is particular things differences between the two relays, eventually after repairing the stator, and everything else I had the bike in dis-repair, Then everything worked when I finally got it started. the relay doesn't allow power to the headlight unless there is enough power.

I think I have the same wire not plugged into anything. so tomorrow I will take a look see. good luck, hope this helps you in looking for a solution.

Here ya go start tracing.

Have you tried jumping the starter relay direct to make sure the starter is still good?

Also you can pull the relay out and jump power to the appropriate wires to see if that works.

Attachments

• user4206_pic1767_1333963633.jpg
    user4206_pic1767_1333963633.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 487
arfstrom, are these relays you speak of from a company called orion? If so I already replaced them and that didn't solve the problem. Do you think my battery could be too far dead to trip those relays?

As for the starter, I haven't pulled it out yet to test, but will do when i get the time. my most important task is to get the headlight working so I can ride it at night.

The curious thing is though that one day I walk up to the bike and the starter just didn't work after working perfectly. numerous times before.

The Relay wont send power to the headlight unless there is power from the Stator. On that diagram 2 post earlier, you follow the Whites, the left white wire goes to a Diode, then to the "Relay" If that line isn't powered up enough to flip the switch in the relay, it wont send power to the headlights. you can do the jumper thing, that will bypass the relay, and that will (my theory) kill your battery faster. If you have the same problem everyone else had, you will find 3 shot wires, so baked that it will crack in your hands as you try to move it. Not many of us want you to just rip into your bike, but if you take off the Drive Sprocket cover, and look at the condition of the 3 wires coming out of the stator cover, Drewpy, Drewcifer, Sbondoni. I went with Drewpys, His made the Tech page. But check out the rest see the really good photos they took.
Drewpy's http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5934
Drewcifer http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7616
sbondoni
full

My hope for you is to check the voltage Reg, Rectifier. you can see my choices in the photos albums.

2nd question, the company name was Omron.
full

side by side photo

So the other point of the following the diagram, the Diode could be damaged as well. possible, but not likely.

yes, those would be the "relays" I was talking about. I haven't taken my EE classes yet so I called them a relays just because that's what I thought they were haha :doh:

I did pull off the sprocket cover once to clean out that area (it hadn't been cleaned in 30 years) and sprayed the crap out of it with every kind of solvent you could possibly imagine. Maybe one of those solvents pushed the wires you spoke of over the edge. I'll definitely take a look once I get some time this weekend.

Thank you for all the help!

Nope, You didn't do it. Normal use, and 30 years pushed it over the edge. If you do find out it is those wire are shot, I did find some interesting tape at Menards, Google tommy tape, Menards has a generic version, I am sure I went into details, but this tape is good to protect wires upto to 500 degrees f. So I used Heatshrink, and the generic tommy tape, comes in 10ft segments, at about 4bucks. Of course I fully recommend to do the Drewpy rewire in regards to the stator. look at the others, sbondoni, drewcifer, everyone has something worth while to state. I did buy a special crimping tool, based on the general consensus. Coarse my wife knows I don't need a consensus.

My thought of the relays, in conjunction of the stator, was that it was AC current going to the relay. now that months of getting a electrical education via www.xs400.com The diode on that white wire going to the safety relay swaps current from ac to DC.

Sooner you get a multimeter on the battery, to determine your charge capacity,at idle 12.6 or less, at 3500 rpms 13 to 14 volts, etc, and the dbl check the other things Volt reg/rec. Once you start getting some of these stats sooner we can start googling stuff. course if you find you have brittle wire coming out and under the drive sprocket. with ohms less than 1. There is actually two connectors you can check the Ohms. Left side the bike, pull the plastic cover, Right side you will find 2 plugs, and then infront of the battery box, where the stator wires makes its first connection point, then it has a jumper from there to the the back side of the battery box. If memory serves right the Recifier and maybe the voltage regulator, are there, (both of which are attached under the battery box.) should still be white to white, to white. so from here you can follow the manual for the rec test, and the other direction for the ohms for the stator test, then you can find the next connector to make sure your not dropping due to resistance at that connection point. As long as your looking at these connectors, get some very fine sandpaper, and clean em up a bit with it wrapped on to a skinny screw driver. Some where in the middle of this you might need to disconnect the battery, before your best friend sees you, and nicknames you "Sparky" Clean every connection point for the grounds. both battery wires, ground spots, ...

Oops, sorry, its late, rambling off. Gnight
Tobie

I wish I didn't have to worry about school...

I'll try collect as much data as I can Friday afternoon to localize the issue. If I'm not able to really take the bike apart and check everywhere you mentioned soon, would you mind if I PM you about this?

PM, No problem, I work between noon, and 10pm, so unless I check during lunch I will get back with you after after wards/or beforewards

Back