Headlight box removal XS 400 DOHC (no horn, flasher lights, oil, neutral, brake)

puffybodie

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

so on mine XS400 DOHC 12E year 1986 turn lights, brake light, neutral signal, oil signal, turn signal and horn stopped to work. Funny enough headlight, park light and beam light work just fine even only on battery.

Checked fuses - OK
Checked bulbs in lights - OK
Did use other battery (which is sure ok) - same problem as described

It starts engine, runs fine and so on except of that electrical issue.

For some time my right light for speedometer was not working, but thought I will leave it for winter as left light was working and signal lights were working, but they suddenly stoped. I disconnect batery, cleaned switch on left handlebar, checked fuses and so on. For short time it was working, but then during ride it stopped to work again.

So there may be either issue with connector, cable or something in box around speedometer. But how can I get to it? Removed light and behind is box full of connectors and cables, to get it out I assume to disconnect turn lights (big nuts on left and right of that box). However cables from turn lights are connected with something I did not see before. They are not regular square or rectangle connectors, but looks like wires directly connected via small "oval connector" and covered by plastic (probably protection of that connection). How can I loosen those? Tried to just remove or push and turn to some side if it will disconnect, but nothing. Does not want to use much force to not break anything and I hope that it is not some permanent connection (will be stupid anyway)-

If anyone knows what to do next then your help will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

(picture of that connector I can provide tomorrow latest)

So connectors now I know and tried to disconnect, clean, connect all of them couple of times already. Box where headlight is placed is removed, but problem still continue. Thinking now if it may be caused by bad bulb (one for rpm meter is for sure broken - checked already, so others can do this? or (hopefully not) something in cable lead. However with not enough tools I think I will need to forward it to someone with "better" garage :-/

Hi all,

so on mine XS400 DOHC 12E year 1986 turn lights, brake light, neutral signal, oil signal, turn signal and horn stopped to work. Funny enough headlight, park light and beam light work just fine even only on battery.

Checked fuses - OK
Checked bulbs in lights - OK
Did use other battery (which is sure ok) - same problem as described

It starts engine, runs fine and so on except of that electrical issue.

For some time my right light for speedometer was not working, but thought I will leave it for winter as left light was working and signal lights were working, but they suddenly stoped. I disconnect batery, cleaned switch on left handlebar, checked fuses and so on. For short time it was working, but then during ride it stopped to work again.

So there may be either issue with connector, cable or something in box around speedometer. But how can I get to it? Removed light and behind is box full of connectors and cables, to get it out I assume to disconnect turn lights (big nuts on left and right of that box). However cables from turn lights are connected with something I did not see before. They are not regular square or rectangle connectors, but looks like wires directly connected via small "oval connector" and covered by plastic (probably protection of that connection). How can I loosen those? Tried to just remove or push and turn to some side if it will disconnect, but nothing. Does not want to use much force to not break anything and I hope that it is not some permanent connection (will be stupid anyway)-

If anyone knows what to do next then your help will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

(picture of that connector I can provide tomorrow latest)

hi, ive just seen the issue you had with no oil light, neutral light, no indicators, horn or brake lights. I have exactly the same issue but cant find any fault, did you ever find what the problem was? any infomation would be greatly appreciated, many thanks for your time, Ian.

hi, ive just seen the issue you had with no oil light, neutral light, no indicators, horn or brake lights. I have exactly the same issue but cant find any fault, did you ever find what the problem was? any infomation would be greatly appreciated, many thanks for your time, Ian.

Hi Ian, do not have the bike for some years already. But the issue was broken wire under the saddle. Wires are going there in somewhat wrong spot and if you're heavy or often riding in two persons then bottom part of saddle is pushing against those wires and after such years it creates problem. My technician then bypassed problematic wire.

Back