Headlight, will this work?

The power consumption is quite a bit higher than stock at 91W. I don't know the max output on our generators off the top of my head but I think you'd have a very hard time making it work.

Other than that you'll be looking at getting a bigger headlight bucket, modifying the mounts to fit, and having enough room for the wiring harness connections that normally fit in the bucket.

I don't know which model bike you have but I believe most of ours are 6 3/8 inches stock.
If you already have a bucket that will fit, great, but that might be the least of your concerns.

My manual states that the SOHC models have alternators rated to put out 13A at 14.5V, meaning a theoretical capacity of 188 watts. DOHC models may have better alternators, but that's still not a lot of capacity to work with on bikes notorious for having poor charging systems.

Oops, sorry, it's an '83 Maxim 400

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it says power consumption is 40.5 watts. The idea, of course, is to decrease the power being used in comparison to the stock bulb. Perhaps that isn't possible in a "plug n play" kind of application.

You'll want to ask for more information before ordering.

The page seems to imply that it can require up to 91W. They state 91W, 40.5W power consumption, and 13x 7W LEDs (adds up to 91W).
Their photos show three different illumination modes, one of which does show 13 LEDs lit up at once. While they do state how many lumens each mode produces, they don't state the power consumption for each mode.

If it does only ever consume a maximum of 40.5W at once then you might be looking at a great option.

Maybe someone else can address other possible issues. I've seen it said many times that cars have different beam patterns than bikes but I don't think that'd be a deal breaker.

You would have to figure out a custom mounting system. Either to mount it into the stock bucket or remove the bucket, hide the wiring connections, and mount the light without a bucket.

EDIT: Their examples show the low beam and high beam both pointing directly ahead, with no change of angle, only brightness. Blinding oncoming traffic might be a safety hazard.

That light is NOT suitable for use as a headlight. For many reasons - beam pattern, color temperature, and power consumption, just to name what comes to mind instantly.

There are LED replacement bulbs available that use less power and offer a proper high/low beam.

I second the hid recommendation. You can get a full assembly and ballast from the Chinese manufacturers for about $40 shipped that has true high and low beam. Better lighting than an led, and less heat issues to worry about. The LED lamps need a lot of cooling to dissipate the heat from the resistor. So as long as you don't mind mounting the ballast (its pretty small), go with hid

Back