Hello- I am a newby from Colorado

Gunny

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

My name is Gunny and I just bought my first bike ever to learn on and it is a 1980 Yamaha 400. As stated, this is my first bike ever and I bought it yesterday for 400.00.
I don't know if that was a good price or not but so far, I am happy with it. It is a running, rideable bike in fair condition.
I don't know anything about these bikes but I was told that it would be a great starter to learn on. I rode it around the neighborhood yesterday. I never got it out of first gear as this was the first time I had ever been on a motorcycle in my 52 years of life.

I found this site on a google search while researching the bike before I decided to buy it and I am happy to be here. I have found a lot of useful things here. So, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to you all.

Thanks for looking,
Gunny:bike:

Welcome Gunny.
?: Short for G-Sgt. or Sack?

Is it a sohc or a dohc version? Either way, if it actually runs, $400 sounds like a great price.
But before you venture into 2nd gear and ride it ANY farther, stop and install a $3 in-line fuel filter. Could keep you running.

We'd love to see pics - so posting some is high on your priority list. As is reading this thread: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595

hi Lou,
Gunny is short for my rank at retirement from the USMC so you are correct I am a GySgt.
What I have found out thru doing some digging with my VIN on the web, is that I have purchased a 1980 XS400G Special-2. Which I believe is a SOHC if I read correctly. I am completely BRAND NEW to bikes as when I bought this one yesterday, it was the first time that I had ever even sat on one.:)

I set a pic of the bike as my profile pic and as soon as I can figure out how, I will post some more in here.

Thanks for the GREAT info.

Attachments

• DSCN1545.jpg
    DSCN1545.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 368
  • DSCN1547.jpg
    DSCN1547.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 373
  • DSCN1544.jpg
    DSCN1544.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 348
Welcome Gunny! As Lou said - fuel filter should be on your list...together with new oil and oil filter.

Last edited:
Thanks,

The oil and filter were done the day I got it. (by my brother, before we brought it my house) As for the fuel filter, I am considering that next. I have read in other places that some folks had trouble with putting them on their bikes and then they would not run correctly any more. So I would like to have a consensus from you folks here on it before I decide.
The bad things that I read about it were on different sites than this one and they have been few and far between. My problem is, I have ABSOLUTELY NO KNOWLEDGE about working on a bike. Hell the first time that I ever even sat on a bike in my life was when I bought this one, day before yesterday. LOL
I just noticed something new.....My bike starts and runs beautifully when cold but, once it has been for a short ride, say 5 minutes or so, and it is warmed up, the idle kinda runs up?! It will drop when I turn on the headlight but it is still running a bit high. I can't give you the RPMs because the bike does not have a tachometer (YET), but I know that it is idling fast by the sound. Any ideas?????

Last edited:
On this site, the answer is almost always - CARBS :yikes:
I've never had to clean carbs so I can't give you much advice on the subject. Instead, I always focused my efforts on keeping them clean. I use only gas with no ethanol. If the bike sits for any length of time (not just after the winter), I siphon the gas out, run it through my car and replace with fresh.

Better get that in-line filter on asap before they get worse (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7574)

If the filter plugs up with detritus, the bike will run badly - but not as badly as having the detritus flow into the carbs. Make sure you don't put the filter on backward. You want any sediments to accumulate on the outside of the filter screen not hidden inside. If you use one like on the thread above, cutting the line closer to one end, instead of at the midpoint, will allow you to fit it better. And don't forget to remove a piece equal to the length of the body of the filter. Best of luck.

Hi Gunny! Welcome to the group & riding a motorcycle. You've got a great-looking bike, especially for $400.

I'm a newbie myself - just started riding this summer. My Ruby was a present to myself for turning 42. Everyone here has been really friendly & helpful, so you're in the right spot as a beginner. :)

Thanks for your service in the Corps. My husband is also a Devil Dog. :)

Hey Hi Good to meet ya!! Great deal on the bike Gunny. I'm also fairly new to a real bike but have had a number of little ones in the past. Your best investment for the winter would be a manual followed by a fuel filter and a couple carb kits. To me it sounds like your rpm issue could be a lean mixture problem. When you take the carbs off for a rebuild you'll better able to find the problem. Mine was the carb holders from the head to the carbs. Another thing to look at will be your fuel petcock and vacuum line to it rebuild kits are available for these as well. You might want to check your charging system. With the battery fully charged you should notice little to no change in rpm or brightness when you turn on an electrical load. I've red these bikes have an anemic charging system and things like weak connections can also cause problems. On the electrical side many of us have had to replace the fuse box with the more current blade type fuses to eliminate issues with weak connections there. Good luck with your new toy. Keep the rubber side down. And keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome Gunny!

since you're new to wrenching, maybe you'll find this one useful. Bit of a long read, but it's a good starting point for these bikes

Back