1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Identifying Bike

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhatch0793, Feb 22, 2017.

1. dhatch0793

dhatch0793 XS400 New Member

I just came upon a free motorcycle and I have been having trouble identifying it. I've read around and have run into contradicting answers and no mention of a year so I was hoping you guys could help. I had seen a forum post on here roughly 6 months ago with a list of VIN numbers with corresponding model years but I haven't been able to find it again.

IMG_0660.jpg IMG_0661.jpg IMG_0659.jpg IMG_0662.jpg

2. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Yep, it's an 81. To bad it's been all hacked up but for free:)

3. samuelbikes

samuelbikes XS400 New Member

how do i find the engine size of my bike its only got a 9 digit vin and i dont have the owners manual

4. xschris

What's your vin number? All sohc xs400's are 391cc motors. The cc's are stamped on the lower front part of the block. Post some pics of you bike.

5. xschris

That would be a 79-F model.

6. samuelbikes

samuelbikes XS400 New Member

thank you

7. Marcus Delgado

Marcus Delgado New-Member

Chicago
    Similarly, I recently acquired either a 78, or a 79 model XS-400. Please advise. It has disc brakes front and rear, electric ignition (and kickstart), with cast wheels. VIN: 2LO- 101397

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  8. rschabo

rschabo XS400 New Member

Good to know. I just picked up a XS400 and the VIN started 2L0. I was told it was an 84 but when I started looking into it I figured it was late 70's. I called a few dealers and they couldn't look up these old 9 digit codes either.

Attached Files:

BBS360 likes this.