1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me & go to heaven if not you go to hell (if there's any, you what I mean) ;)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by khizer, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Gra900

Gra900 XS400 Addict

Hi khizer
    You should be able to get the carbs refurbished, mine were done by a firm in the uk, not too expensive. Pretty sure backfires due to air leaks from headers. I got a set of exhaust studs off eBay, M8. 17mm and 17mm threaded, overall 47 or 50 mm.

2. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

hey guys great news, while i was trying to remove the exhaust stud 1/4 of it is now broken and I am in deep pain about it. don't know what to do now, if anyone knows any tool that could help me remove the stud please let me know. thanks

3. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

boys, I got the studs out. Also I started to work on cleaning the gas tank with some vinegar, salt to increase the 5% vinegar's acidity and BB bullets. Below is the picture of the tank, few hours in of shaking, jerking the tank, forgot to get the tanks before picture. hopefully after 4-5 days the tank rust shall be gone IMG-2946.jpg IMG-2948.jpg IMG-2952.jpg .

4. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

hey guys does anyone know where I could buy the footrest rubber grommets from. I tried to search them by their part number and they are extremely expensive. Found a pair of 2 for 17$ on ebay. Hope someone could get back to me. Thanks. unnamed.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Yamibits.co.uk

They have all kinds of little bits like that for these bikes. And very cheap.

I'd suggest going through the parts they have for your model and just ording a basket full.

I'm currently waiting on 16 different items from them right now. And it's only costing me $25 to ship to Canada. Very cheap.

khizer likes this.
  6. XSLeo

XSLeo XS400 Junkie

On the fuel running out of the carbs, it's not the float height, it the float valve. The valve is opened and closed by the float. If the valve and seat are cruddy or damages fuel leaks past the valve. This overflow the float bowl. Then it runs out somewhere.
    Some carbs use a float valve that has a rubber tip. This tip can get broken off. This leaks. Also some have a gasket on the valve seat where it goes in the carb. If this gasket is bad fuel leaks past the valve. If bad they can be bought.
    Check your oil. If it seems higher than it should or smells gassy then your fuel leaked into the oil a well as out on the floor.
    An air cooled bike needs good air flow past the cylinders to stay cool. Running it while stationary is ok for short periods. If you need to run it much over a few minutes then put a fan in front of the bike to blow air around the engine.
    You mentioned you store it in a van. I hope you are not running the bike inside the van.
    Not only is this bad for the bike but it's bad for you.
    Leo

khizer likes this.
  7. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

hi y'all. I am getting close to complete my motorcycle. This week I'll try to get the headlight and some wiring fixed. I am trying to buy some tires for my mc. The manual states to have 3.00s18-4pr on front and 3.75s18-4pr on rear. I want to increase the front tire size as it looks like a baby tire. I read few posts around and found that some members have successfully used 100/90/18 on front and 110/90/18 on rear with tubes. I am trying to find a size for a same tire size look and want to know until what size my wheels are capable of. If not same size I want to atleast have 3.50 in the front and 3.75 in the rear, dual sports/ trail/firestone champion type tires.
    please give me some recommendations, suggestions on the tire size etc.
    thanks for viewing and replying to my noob questions. I really appreciate all your help.
    khizer

8. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

Hey guys merry Christmas. Today I tried to replace the clutch cable. Few weeks ago I bought the cable from eBay with correct part number but for some reason the cable is not willing to get into the lever hole. I have highlighted the part that is hindering the cable to get in the lever. Can someone tell me if there’s cable look the same as mine. I also tried to double check the cable on mikexs and it looks the same. Also the previous cable that I had on the bike looked the same but was worn out and was hard to come out the lever hole as the part that I highlighted in the image was squished up for the old clutch cable.
    can someone give me some ideas. Should I just return the cable and buy a universal cable as it looks different. thanks CA928D1A-E509-4BA2-9F59-94EE13B0B00E.jpeg 53E6BC84-4DC2-47DB-B4BF-A8F6A509E2F8.jpeg

9. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

Also is the gap ok on the exhaust heads A623ED81-1E7E-4218-B25D-FD91BCFA2945.jpeg 06E064E4-3FB0-415F-A114-4358F4A11369.jpeg

10. XSLeo

XSLeo XS400 Junkie

I can't say I've seen a cable like that. If that's stock perhaps your lever isn't.
    On your exhaust yes, the gap is right. If it went down tight that means the gasket wont be a crush fit and would not seal.
    Leo

11. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Stock oem cable will look like this.
    DSC03756.JPG DSC03757.JPG DSC03758.JPG DSC03759.JPG DSC03760.JPG DSC03761.JPG Make sure you have the holder that goes into the case to hold the cable. If you have stock handle bars and levers it should fit. The 80-82 sohc xs400 uses the same style cable but it's longer.

12. xschris

Cable goes in like this.
    DSC03762.JPG DSC03763.JPG

13. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

@xschris can you pm me or post here the picture of your levers. I think I might have wrong one on my bike. I tried to eBay the part number of the levers and didn’t find any chrome ones that look like yours.

thanks @xschris and @XSLeo for the replies.

14. xschris

I have stock aluminum levers on stock perches.
    DSC03764.JPG DSC03765.JPG DSC03766.JPG DSC03767.JPG

khizer likes this.
  15. Gra900

Gra900 XS400 Addict

Hi Chris
    Does anyone make those little adapters for the bottom end of the cable anymore. I’ve looked hi and low for them. Gra

16. xschris

The guide for the case, no. It's a yamaha only part and only used in 76-77 xs360 and 77-82 sohc xs400 bikes.
    DSC03760.JPG

17. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

hey y'all quick few updates: found some heavy rust on the bike parts like the battery box and the air filter holders,
    the speedo is damaged.
    So, I was thinking to get uni air filter/ k&n / some pod filters so that I wouldn't be in need of the rusty battery box. But I have no idea if I would have to reject the carbs or not for the switch. I have read few posts where peers were able to just put on uni filters with the H tube on and didn't had to reject them carbs. I would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this matter and guide me.
    About the speedo, I wanted to ditch the whole speedo and the tach and buy a single aftermarket unit with tach and speedo in it (cause buying the stock dials are wayyyyyyyy expensive). also relocate the ignition switch since the wires of it would be exposed due to changing the dials. And I came to a conclusion, that I could buy either 12 gauge or 16 gauge metal sheet (whichever is durable and easy to bend using clamps etc) and make a electrical tray with all the electrical parts in it and the ignition switch too. please throw out any replies for this electrical tray idea, any recommendations, experience, tips etc.
    I also don't have professional power tools like metal bender, cutters, so any ideas are much appreciated.

I know few members wanted me to go with the stock look as much as possible but I am not really in a position financially and time wise where I could invest to restore the bike but I'll try to save the bike look. the frame by the rear fender is extremely rusted and needs attention soon if not I might have to chop it off. At this point I have started to think I might have made a bad choice buying the bike at such high price.

anyway, please throw off some ideas.
    thanks

18. xschris

What wrong with you gauges? Lots of used ones out there. I even have a few for the 76-77 xs360 and 77-78 xs400 with the green faces. Any all in one setups with any type of quality will cost good money.

19. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

hey guys i wanted to know when should the carb diaphragms needs to replaced? my current ones have no rips/tears in them but they are really soft/soggy is that how they are supposed to be? hope someone replies.
    thanks

20. xschris

Soft is good. When they get hard and stiff you should be concerned. Also holes/cracks or loose on the slide is bad. All my bikes still use original stock diaphragms from 70's-80's production. When I pickup carbs I always check for good diaphragms. Some are bad and need to be tossed. Others get cleaned up and soaked in grease ( lucas red and tacky) and put back in spare carb bodies for storage.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020