1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me & go to heaven if not you go to hell (if there's any, you what I mean) ;)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by khizer, Oct 8, 2019.

1. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

thanks chris! I also wanted share that I haven't been able to fix the gas flooding issue. Now I am currently look for carb rebuild kits thinking the problem might be the float needle and valve. I have tried numerous attempts to fix the issue but gas still seems to flow out of the air filters. I even bought vernier callipers to measure the float height to 26mm but yet no good results. if you could share some ideas it would be really helpful.

2. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Make sure you buy them in sets. Use the stock OEM part numbers for your search. Avoid aftermarket or "cheap" knock offs.

3. xschris

Make sure you measure float heights without the bowl gasket on the carbs. Also are you still working with the carb that had the broken float post? That fix will cause issues.

4. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

yes, the carb post is still broken off but I used some solder on it which fixed it and I made sure by flipping the carb upside down and the floats seemed to move freely. But I'll try to read few forums on how to fix the carb post.
    also do you know if K&L, hendler company are trustable? most ebay sellers have the float valve, needle from those brands.

5. xschris

Not sure as all I use is stock oem valves.

6. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

hi guys, I wanted to ask where can I buy the two front gas tank dampeners from. I have been searching for them about a month now and wasn't able to find them. I tried looking them up with the part number, yamahaparthouse, partzilla, ebay, amazon, yamabits and yet no success. Does anyone knows if I could buy the dampeners of some other yamaha that would fit on my tank. hope someone could chime in.
    UPDATE on the bike: bought almost 170$ worth parts, still working on the carbs height and post. Hopefully I would be able to ride this thing one day and my money would be worth.

7. xschris

8. Farqaleet

Farqaleet XS400 New Member

I must say the perfect riding Technique is possible with a perfect suit. When you are riding on the bike you need full mental freedom. And mental freedom comes to a perfect race suit. you should never compromise on-track safety. I've also got a professional race suit from https://motospeeds.com/. That would give me complete mental freedom, safety and comfort on my bike riding.

9. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

hello everyone, came through few other problems while fixing up my xs.
    1. The front brake is getting stuck for some reason whenever I try to pull the lever. The lever is getting stuck and doesn't have that pull back/springy effect to it, the front tire seems to be stuck as well. Anyone has any tips on how to fix this, am I supposed to replace the brakes? lubricate something, tried the manual and didn't find anything relating to this.
    2. I am trying to wire the new headlight but stuck because when I bought the bike someone had screwed the wiring and its a clusterfuck. I wanted to ask y'all what is the best way to find which wire belongs to where, I tried to use the wiring diagram but I have few wires that have same color and just having a hard time to fix this.
    Also, if someone is free can you please tell me few parts that I am supposed to lubricate besides the chain and when is the best time/how should I know to change the bushings of the swing arm.
    I wanted to buy some exhausts that have a punch to it, I really like to hear the bike and the current stock ones are very silent to me. Do I have to rejet the carbs if I switched the exhausts or will it be just plug and play type of thing.
    Update: fixed the carb post by drilling and threading a screw to it. No idea how long that would stay but seems to work just fine. will post a pic of this.
    I really appreciate replies & criticism.
    thanks

10. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

hi guys. Need some advice, the xs has been making a chirping noise from the rear wheel. Here's a link for the video of it https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqimW07E7FVdiwcr4xRkXMHcmmHS
    I'll try to open up the rear wheel and try to grease the bearing and hope this fixes up. I'd love to hear some input, tips and advice's from people here before I mess up anything. Also please reply if you know which parts I should be lubing. thanks

11. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

does anyone know what size this screw is? Number 15 in the diagram. I lost mine somewhere.
    upload_2020-8-26_14-53-32.png

12. xschris

30mmX 6m 1.00 pitch pan head. I do believe.
    DSC03851.JPG

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  13. amc49

amc49 XS400 Addict

6 mm. on Japanese bikes is almost 100% 1.0 pitch thread, 1.25 is the go to for 8 mm.

You should be able to find them or summat at Ace Hardware............

khizer likes this.
  14. xschris

Yes. 1.00 pitch for the 6m bolts. It's one of those things you don't have to think about very often but often forget.

15. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

so I took my first ride ever and was really excited but after the ride the bike started to die. when I came home the died on me and didn't wanted to start after that. I then removed the plugs to check and the left had gas on it and was burnt, checked my manual and turned in the fuel mixture screw half turn and tried to kick it, it took me 25 kicks to get the bike start and after 30 seconds it died on me again. Checked the fuses and the battery every thing was ok. went it today to check on it the battery had 6v on it and no spark. checked the coils, had 4.0 ohm on it and yet don't want to start. did I blew up the wiring? the turn signal works and the oil light seems to turn on but the bike won't start for the love of god. I got a good offer on the bike to sell it off but it won't start now. Please let me know what I am doing wrong?
    is it the battery that is causing an issue? I am using a AGM battery
    is it that I haven't fixed the wiring cluster in the front?

16. xschris

6v the battery is done. Get a new battery and with the bike running make sure it's charging. There are tests in the manual for the charging system. Stock settings for mix screws are 1 1/4 out from a light seat but most of these bikes run well at around 3. I would also start with some new plugs.

17. amc49

amc49 XS400 Addict

I'll be more clear. Get a new carb. You absolutely cannot solder the potmetal a carb is made of as the solder will not adhere to it. Look at your work there. Part may be stuck but will come back apart easy as spit. Carb material is aluminum mixed with zinc, it cannot be soldered. At least not without super expensive aluminum soldering rod and skills have to be combined with it to have success with that. With your skills that's out of reach.

Your chirping back through carbs and exhaust backfire is from dead plug(s) which the flooding fouled out to ruin. They are now misfiring. Yank plugs and if black or wet you are there.

Stud needs replacing, you don't have any material left to retap. Only problem with that is that the stud may well break coming out as they tend to seize in exhaust positions to then break when they do not come out willingly very often. Good luck, been through it many times. There are no aftermarket studs already made to length, you will be making it yourself (hardware store like mentioned) or buying Yamaha part. Likely 8 X 1.25 mm. thread used there.

Jets in carb look absolutely horrible, I've run them like that before but the opening s MUST be fully open to flow correct or problems. The float can be misbent lopsided on purpose to work but butchery, I have made it work before on a junker though. You're certainly not going to work right with it hanging crooked like that.

18. Jimmer

Jimmer XS400 Member

Please, please, please don't Café it. That's so yesterday.... Much better to keep the old girl original. Very hard to find now a days. I lucked out and found a stock 81 in great shape. Other than making it run like new I am not changing anything.

Good luck with the restore

Cheers

BBS360 likes this.
  19. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

I am trying to keep it original but there are parts that have seen better days, like the seat its all rusted out and the plastic is broken.
    The previous owner didn't kept in a shed and the rare frame is rusted out with severe pitting in it.
    I took the bike to a nearby restorer and he suggested the best to cut out the rare part of the frame in order to safe the rest of the bike. He also told to look out for a similar motorcycle and swap the frame or try to cut and re-weld it.
    I think I have mentioned this but I am a college student and money is tight. I don't get to spend enough time to work on it as I am busy with school, if not I have to work inside the van as I don't have a garage.
    Anyways I just gave it to the restorer and told him to do his best, he was inclining to cut the frame and have a U tube welded. I explained him to do what was cheap and best.
    My love has grown into this bike and I hate to make it a cafe but I promise the frame is the only thing that would have the cafe look.

Also Update: I am moving back to chicago, I am gonna try to take this baby with me and fix it completely over the winter.

Jimmer likes this.
  20. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

thanks for the reply, I somehow made it work by drilling a hole and creating a thread in it. I made a hole in the middle of the screw (to work as a post) and just threaded the screw in.
    I bought new plugs and the bike ran good for a 5 min ride but after that it did not want to start again. Removed the plugs the right one seemed to be good but the left one was black and was wet. Cleaned the plug and it started for a min and just died. Never started after that. I think more gas is going in, I should probably tighten the air mixture screw (which is supposed to be 3 and 1/2 out).
    I was able to fix the stud issue long time ago, bought a screw extractor and got it done.
    I bought new needle and valve and the flooding issue was fixed. I am not sure what to do with the jets but if someone could point me I will fix them or buy new ones. I have thoroughly cleaned and used air to check the holes are free of dirt and grime. (do you know what problems should bad jets cause?)