1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me & go to heaven if not you go to hell (if there's any, you what I mean) ;)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by khizer, Oct 8, 2019.

1. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

the battery was somewhere around 6.5v can I recharge it? its a gel battery.
    the left plug was black and wet after the ride, does that mean more gas is getting into the chamber? should I just turn in the mix screw?
    is the replacement for plugs necessary I recently bought them and they cost me 25$. If I were to clean them and reuse it would I have any issues.
    thanks

2. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Once the frame is modified it will never be the same bike again. If you took it to a person that has any good fab or welding skills it should be an easy fix. These frames are not that hard to work on.

3. Jimmer

Jimmer XS400 Member

@khizer

Sorry if I sounded like I was telling you what to do with your bike. It's yours and you should do whatever works for you.

I hope you can get it to a state that you are happy with.

Good luck

Cheers

4. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Plugs should be way cheaper than that. I can find iridium ones on eaby or at most auto parts store for around $9 each. Standard ones are like $3. That battery is toast. I would check your charging system.

5. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

I know, I'll try to call the guy and see if he has started to work on it yet. I'll get a second opinion and see what happens. It's been almost a year and my brother who owns the van is pissed that I haven't fixed it yet and he needs the van ASAP. I want to atleast get the bike in a state where it runs ok and maybe sell it off. If not I'll take it with me to chicago.
    Every welder here in Dallas are asking for 200$ to get the frame fixed ( with 2-3 weeks time) and I don't have enough moolah + time. The restorer where the bike is at told me to give him 50$ and he'll fix it in 2-3 days. This sounded me quick and good.
    Over the year, I have learned a lot about it and hate to modify things to it as it'll lose its original beauty but I am in messed up situation.
    I swear if I had welder I'd simply watch youtube and try to restore it. I even went on reddit to see if someone in Dallas wanted to help me with the welding job unfortunately nobody replied.

6. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

Don't be sorry broski. I understand what you are recommending me, as you probably are wiser than me and as a college student with little background to motorcycle I extremely appreciate the replies. But I am in a very messed up situation, where I don't have enough connections to help me out. With money and time constraint I am trying to do what's best and cheap option is.
    Every restorer here is asking for around 200$ to have the frame fixed and unfortunately I work part time and as a CS major all my income goes to the loans and etc.
    tbh, I wish I had a welder and I would probably try to fix it myself. I thought to rent one out but I keep my bike inside a van where I don't have a power outlet. I live in a apt on a second floor and the management here tried to fine me once when I brought my bike near the house as apparently its a fire hazard. I tried to explain them the bike won't run and they were like "you could keep it but we're gonna charge you 150$ each day we see your motorcycle near the house."
    anyway I currently hate myself for purchasing the bike at a wrong time in my life.
    Hope to hear from you.

7. Jimmer

Jimmer XS400 Member

My personal advice would be to try and sell it and recoup your money. It's definitely not the time for you to get into a vintage bike restoration project. It takes time and money to do that properly, any cheap hack job you do now will greatly affect the future of the bike. Better to try and sell it to someone who has the time and resources to do it properly.

Hopefully later you will have time for a project when things settle down

Cheers

8. khizer

khizer XS400 Enthusiast

that's what I have been thinking about, but I need the bike to at least run properly so that I could get the money that I have put in. Hopefully someone who is more responsible than me gets it.

9. skintech

skintech I love Bikes, Boobs and Tattoos!

if you need any parts, i have a 1980 im parting out cheap. if you need some, hit me up! also im in az!! we're neighbors!
    thanks and good luck! skintech

10. skintech

skintech I love Bikes, Boobs and Tattoos!

Wow! F*ing Amazing! Thank You It's a-boot time -A!