Help me with a friend's cb360

bcware

Well-read
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I need some ideas.

For the last 2 seasons my friend's 1974 cb360 ran great. Over the winter I took it apart completely. It has points ignition fyi.

I replaced a lot of suspension and drive train components, but barely touched the engine.

I removed the clutch cover to clean the centrifugal oil filter, replaced the gasket and used a little Threebond to seal it.

I adjusted the cam chain tensioner.

I adjusted the float height in the carbs to manual spec and gave them a quick cleaning.

Anyway, the bike runs great until it heats up; after a few miles it starts backfiring like crazy and dies. Smoke comes out of the breather tube and oil is coming out of the top end (cam shaft oil seal behind points and the valve adjustment caps) almost as if the top end is pressurized. The compression was down on one side, but after soaking the cylinder with some sea foam it appears to have come back up to 160+ psi.

I'm pretty close to just taking the top end apart to get a look at things because I am at a loss.

I wonder if the cam jumped a tooth! Would this fit? :wtf:

This actually fits as well. He rarely gets out to ride it and if he does, it's usually a very short, slow trip across town.

Back