Help! Stripped allen screw!!

XS400 Raptor

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I;m new to the forums and this is my first post. I have a 2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 that has a XS400 engine in it! Okay so here's my problem. My starter clutch is bad, so I'm going to replace it. I have all the screws off the left side case besides one..... It is stripped. Not just somewhat stripped, the hole is round like a circle. How do I go about taking this off? I need it off otherwise I cant take the case off and I can't replace the starter clutch. I am not a mechanic at all, but I'm not dumb haha. Oh yeah also I tightened one of the screws too tight and it broke. I should be able to get that off though so no big deal. When I just try to move the case it barely moves and can barely notice it. Is there more besides this one screw that's holding it on? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I wanna get back out and test my ice tires!!!

Hi mate welcome :) I recently had to remove a bolt from brake caliper on my cbr600, it was one of the long bolts that holds the brake pad in place. It was stripped round as well, I actually ended up getting a starbit (I think thats what you call them) that was a bit bigger than the stripped hole. I Tapped that in with a hammer until it was really jammed in tight, then unscrewed it with a ratchet and it worked like a charm. But now I cant get the starbit out of the stripped bolt, lol. May or may not work for you.

Heres a pic of a starbit set just in case you dont know what im talking about.

Attachments

• starbit.jpg
    starbit.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 321
I believe that those are Torx bits. They might work. I've used triple square to do the same thing. But left handed twist drill bits usually work better. Or screw extractors...

Dave

I dont know if anyone mention this but an ez out may work if your determinedto go through the rounded hole.Me personaly like has mentioned if you can weld a nut on it or get those speacil type of vice grips they have now that will get a grip on any bolt head and not strip or round like traditional vise grips.Use a little heat from a propain torch if nothing sensitive is in its way it will come out.

The welding, easy out, tripple square, and torx bits are all reasonable options. However, before trying anything else, soak the threads with PB Blaster or another quality penetrating oil (not WD-40) for a few days before proceeding. And use an impact driver (about $20 from Sears)

Hahah! Ask 5 mechanics, get 10 answers!

All of these ideas are sound. My method:

Soak bolt threads in penetrating oil over night. In the morning, take a punch and smack the center of the bolt with a few solid whacks. Now try one of the techniques listed above. If not, my suggestion is to cut a notch in the screw head that will allow you to place a flat screwdriver in it with good solid purchase. I use a dremel cut off wheel to notch it. Then I just twist it out. For stubborn screws, I will use a screwdriver with "wrench flats" on the shaft, and size a cresent wrench to the flats. I then apply pressure to the screw driver and turn the cresent wrench. Never fails me.

YEah I forgot to mention I soaked my bolt in wd40 for 24 hours before attempting to remove, and sounds like everyones recommending it so you may as well. Were all rooting for you man look at the interest a single stripped bolt has generated. Please dont fail, for all of us, DOOOOONNNNNNNT FAIL! You can do it :laugh: (we want photos of success, and while you at it give us photos of this raptor with the xs400 motor in it)

This spring, I had one screw on that cover that I couldn't get a grip on. The screws are very long and it's hard to get the PB all the way down to the threads. If you can prop the bike at a 45 degree angle to the other side, then the PB can run down and into the threads.
I didn't care about how the head would look after and I followed the advice I got on here at the time to use the manual impact driver. Make sure you use the bit with the blunt point in the middle (so it will penetrate deeper). Twist it all the way before hitting it with a 2 lb hammer so that there is no "slack" - that way the impact and the turning force engage the head at exactly the same instant.
Worked like a charm and it left the bolt head with a workable (but bigger) + shaped hole. Didn't even have to buy a new one. Have had it off and on a couple of times since with ease.

Hahah! Ask 5 mechanics, get 10 answers!

All of these ideas are sound. My method:

Soak bolt threads in penetrating oil over night. In the morning, take a punch and smack the center of the bolt with a few solid whacks. Now try one of the techniques listed above. If not, my suggestion is to cut a notch in the screw head that will allow you to place a flat screwdriver in it with good solid purchase. I use a dremel cut off wheel to notch it. Then I just twist it out. For stubborn screws, I will use a screwdriver with "wrench flats" on the shaft, and size a cresent wrench to the flats. I then apply pressure to the screw driver and turn the cresent wrench. Never fails me.

I have got stubborn bolts out this way also,My motto is when all else fails get a hammer.If that doesnt work get a bigger one:devil:

I didn't care about how the head would look after and I followed the advice I got on here ................. Make sure you use the bit with the blunt point in the middle (so it will penetrate deeper). Twist it all the way before hitting it with a 2 lb hammer so that there is no "slack" - that way the impact and the turning force engage the head at exactly the same instant.
Worked like a charm

Have had it off and on a couple of times since with ease.

must show this the wife, I could do with having it off more often and with ease :laugh:

after 15 posts on this thread, the original poster has fled. don't blame him really :D
Do we post on threads for the benefit of original posters, or for the amusement of each other - or both? :umm:
Can we have one without the other. After 16 posts, I'd say "yes" :thumbsup:

Maybe some of us are post whores LOL.Seriously though why not mix humor in with good advice.Im sure the original poster is out here lurking trying to figure out what methos to go about solving his problem since he has so many to choose from.I say this thread has lived its course and is done.

Back