Help what does this mean???

arfstrom

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am down to 2 problems. I just got the bike clutch together, and then it seemed the kick start did grab, and spin gears/compression cycle. Then it all went slack. I thought the Circlip had failed, now I don't know. Now when I turn the Kickstart you can see what happens, Anyone know what I did wrong????

The center of the Clutch spins.

I did do a bottom end rebuild, I know I can go though all the gears????:banghead:
Tobie In the preview the video shows up in a link down about 2 inches. I dont know what caused that.

Attachments

• GEDC0246.jpg
    GEDC0246.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 372
How do you get pressure on the clutch plates to get the clutch to engage without the pressure plate installed?

Okay, I put it back together, and here is a new link. I feel as if there is no connection between the transmission, and the crankshaft.
Tobie

Check the pressure plate, it looks like it isn't quite on there. I put mine on wrong the first time too, so just make sure the plate compresses the clutch pads and plates together snugly.
full

you need to adjust the clutch so the plates are compressed together. this is done on the other side of the engine

Okay, I have the Yamaha plate off Left side, the 17mm bolt spins fine. Was the Compressing the clutch plates something in the manual? Are you suppose to alternate the plates somehow? I did have the plates sitting on the work bench for a month or more, do I need to soak them in oil? Was that an really bad mistake???? Can someone tell me, is that Circlip going to be Okay? from my first photo? or this one?
Thanks alot guys
Tobie

Attachments

• GEDC0244.jpg
    GEDC0244.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 365
Since I didn't maintain everything together well enough,:doh: I ended up ordering a shim from boats.net. They upgraded my order for this shim, from the .3 to .5. I expect the difference is .3 milimeter, to .5 Milimeter. I suspect that the Circlip is not seated right cause of the thicker Shim washer. Now With my current problem,:banghead: I hoping someone can help me over this problem. They said Yamaha Supercedes my wants. :confused: Truthfully, I didnt' know in the first place. I did feel that there wasn't enough room for anything larger. I know the sometimes the various larger Gears like to keep the washers and if your not paying attention, They will stay in place, till it gets knocked off. Kickstart washer, Clutch washer behind the clutch wheel ... I am rambling. Once again I do Appreciate any help I can get!!!!:thumbsup:
Tobie

Note-- I added 2 pics, one is a upclose of my first pic posted, with pointers to gaps, 2 is an excerpt from the Yamaha parts book showing the part number of .3/.5 shims (#27)

Attachments

• Circlip on clutch.jpg
    Circlip on clutch.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 401
  • Clutch Excerpt.jpg
    Clutch Excerpt.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 360
I don't remember having any issues with spacers and the clutch during my rebuild. If that snap ring isn't fully seated in the groove it will just fall or break off. Take a look at the rebuild album on my profile if you didn't take enough pics during disassembly, and hopefully they can help you out here. You didn't put an extra washer on there, did you?

Thanks PS, Nope, no extra spacers, just the ones listed, one on the backside of the main gear, One next to the circlip, both of which are listed in that Clutch excerpt.

I just pulled off the drive sprocket cover, and pulled out the push rod. There was a suction on that rod, I think I just put on some grease prior to inserting it. I think the Basket looks good now, but I am off to work for the day, We can see what the consenses says!

Thanks again guys!
Tobie

Attachments

• GEDC0253.jpg
    GEDC0253.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 343
  • GEDC0252.jpg
    GEDC0252.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 355
If that snap ring isn't fully seated in the groove it will just fall or break off.

Sorry for the double post, but i agree with Pseudo here: that circlip doesn't look like it is in the groove at all, so perhaps your clutch assembly is sliding away from the shaft its attached to, which would explain it working fine for a bit and then going slack

Okay, I tried something, if nothing else just for the photo recognition. I wonder if there was even a shim when I took it apart, since I didnt take photos when I took it apart. I remember the washer from the back of that gear/wheel. I was very careful to keep components together on the take down.

Coincidentally, I notice that the Faux Minnesota state bird could not stay out of the picture.

So a Shim is a space filler, Do I need the shim??? :shrug: Do I dare continue to use this Circlip? Should I go back to Boats.net and ask them to get me the skinnier shim, and replace the circlip? and gasket? Seems this is going cost me $27 otherwise, $22 bucks at its sister web store, https://www.powersportsplus.com the Customer service has responded back to me, stating that they will try to expedite my order.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Circlip on clutch.jpg
    Circlip on clutch.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 381
  • Circlip and shim half mil point 5.jpg
    Circlip and shim half mil point 5.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 362
  • Circlip on clutch without shim with MN state bird.jpg
    Circlip on clutch without shim with MN state bird.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 373
  • Circlip without shim on clutch shaft.jpg
    Circlip without shim on clutch shaft.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 428
Looks like you've got it now. I figure that the spacer just never fell off the clutch basket is all. As for replacing the snap-ring: it's a judgement call, but since it's hardened steel it should be fine so long as it always returns to the original shape on its own. And as long as it sits in that groove it will do its job.

to be honest I don't really understand why you're buying parts from an online boat store...? Good luck though, hopefully you can get it figured out! you should pick up a haynes while you're getting parts ;)

I have a Haynes. Haynes sucks. It's worse than the Haynes car manuals. Unfortunately, short of an actual factory manual, I don't think there is anything else.

Back