Hetip on '82-83 XS400 oil filter cover - try this if it breaks

tomswift99

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Broke my oil filter cover on my '82 Maxim when trying to remove a chewed up filter bolt... gotta remember, it is basically a big plate with no real support around the bolt so use heat to get bolts unstuck and not an impact (hammer)

tried to find one, but to no avail.. nothing on ebay since december, one kind member here had already sold his... started chatting with Mr Necessity, he referred me to Mother of Invention

I had parts from an '82 Kaw GPz550 engine so I dug up the filter cover... it is about 4mm wider in diameter, but the rubber seal will seat on the XS400 crankcase. It required that I sand out the bolt hole about 0.5mm to fit the Yam oil filter bolt, took about 30 sec with a dremel w/barrel sander mounted.

I also used what is referred to as the oil filter "plate" that was used on the Kawasaki; this is a steel "cup" that sits against the oil filter cover, I believe it is mostly for preventing the next item (spring) from chewing into the aluminum cover plate. Inside the plate/cup I put a spring that will keep the filter pressed against the crankcase... this substitutes for the "pedestal" cast into the Yamaha oil filter cover. I also used a washer to prevent the spring from distorting the rubber inner seal.

So...if you can't find a replacement for the oil filter cover (used only on '82-'83 Seca/Maxim 400s) then try a Kaw cover... PNs below

Kaw Oil filter cover PN 14025-1422 (used on 158 Kaw models, probably more this was the flat black one)
Kaw Oil filter plate PN 13169-1110
Kaw Oil filter spring PN 92081-1018
Kaw Oil filter bolt washer PN 92022-1012

Attachments

• 20150213_160815[1].jpg
    20150213_160815[1].jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 1,370
So the oil filter cover on a kaw will fit on my Yamaha Maxim 400 for sure? Everything on mine is still Original and I am trying to restore it! I cracked the cover because I was changing the oil filter and tightened it too tight!

Nice work! :thumbsup: Quick question, will i need an Kawasaki O-ring or the standard O-ring that was made for the maxim? I am thinking about trying this project out so that i may have an extra on hand.

So I ordered this kawi filter cover setup through ebay and it showed up today. I followed the instructions set out by tomswift99 and slapped the filter cover setup on my Maxim. Everything worked out just as he said. :thumbsup: Would it be possible for the Moderators to place this thread in the "Tech" area of the forum? I found it very useful and I am sure that more people will need this information in the future. Thanks again, Tom. :bike:

I know it has been awhile but I wanted to update this in saying that I had to replace my cover and got this setup and everything bolts up like it's intended.

Back