Hey there! Guess I should finally introduce myself...

Schmiggie

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I signed up to this site a few months back but never introduced myself. :oops: My names Dave-I live in Eau Claire, WI. I bought y '79 XS400 with 13,000 miles for $20 from a friend about six years ago. It had sat for years in his garage and it just moved to my garage and sat for another few years. Long story short, its finally running. With the exception of rebuilding the carbs, I've done everything myself so I'm a little proud and it's (almost) how I wanted it to look. Just put new carb boots on yesterday and the warmed-up idle is sooooooo much lower now. In a box in the garage waiting to be put on are new chain, sprockets, brake shoes, headlight, turn signals and mufflers. I've been buying all these when I've seen them cheap the last few months-mufflers were $56for both sides brand new (might have to bend the header a little I think) Anyway, thats all for now Jr is asking for some PBnJ for lunch-take care!

Heres some old pics for you guys!
What I bought (It did come with the gas tank, just not attached):
Motorcycle2.jpg

Air Filters I made from some foam material:
IMG00056.jpg

Making the seat (hope any purists here wont be upset but I did hack the original seat pan) :

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjYuanBn.jpg

Finished seat (Could have been better, but not bad for not knowing what I was doing):

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNDUuanBn.jpg

Tank and seat (yes, I know, more checkers :shrug: I like 'em!)

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNzUuanBn.jpg

As it looks now (soon to be changed...headlights, turn signals, mufflers, rearsets, etc...):
utf-8BSU1HMDA1MDEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA1MDIuanBn.jpg

Sorry some of pics arent the greatest! Like I said, I'm kinda proud of it so hope you like it so far!

Good job on the first seat; upholstery is not easy. I think I may have some of the same foam. I picked some up from the fabric store (high density seat cushion) but it feels too soft to me. How does it feel to sit on? Does it compress too much?

While the foam does compress quite a bit and you can tell its not a gel seat its not bad at all to sit on! I think the longest I've gone so far is just under 100 miles and I wasnt uncomfortable at all at the end. I had trouble getting the shape I wanted so I wrapped it in duct tape before I covered it with the vinyl
utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjcuanBn.jpg

I think the duct tape gave it a little more strength too. I would have liked to use more foam on it but wanted a lower profile.

Back