Hi all, newb here

MeltingDog

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I would introduce myself.

A mate owned an XS400 that one day stopped running. Turned out the timing chain had snapped and in turn damaged the camshaft sprocket(?) quite badly. It sat in his garage for years until he had to move to a smaller place. I offered up some spare space and he gave it to me.

I'm semi-new to this. I've owned old bikes and cars and have done, what I would call, in-depth maintenance, but I've never taken apart an engine before. Kind of interested in how this will turn out.

Of course I'll be hitting up these forums for the technical questions!

Look forward to speaking with you.

Cheers

Howdy mate! How's your project so far?
Hey! Thanks for asking!

Well, I've pulled everything off the engine - wires, tubes, pipes and carbs - and removed the engine from the frame over the weekend.

I am yet to remove the top and inspect where the camshaft should be. Also, I am yet to actually find a replacement shaft!

I am unsure as to what to do about the crank shaft. Since the camshaft sprocket was damaged (last owner removed it so I can see some of the teeth are chewed) I am worried the same thin could've happened to the sprocket on the crank. I am hoping I can shine a light down there from the top and see if there's anything wrong. I want to avoid removing the crankshaft - I just don't have the expertise.

Sounds some work ahead. You may want to post some of these info at the technical section for better exposure. Good luck and have fun.

IMHO..you will have to completely split the engine...no getting around it.
I would look for another engine altogether...

Back