Hi From Tasmania, Australia

agent laraby

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
New to this forum
Thought I would introduce my self will post some pics of the current xs project shortly

Previous rides and restos

XL 185
BSA 650 thunderbolt
Suzuki GS 450ef
Honda 750 4k1
Yamaha RZ 250

Current project
77 XS360

project bike low ks but very rough
_DSC1969.jpg

Wheel after rebuild
_DG05749.jpg

powder coated frame after stripping
_DG05747.jpg

yoke after refurb
_DG05746.jpg

Thanks XSchris it is a great site! it has been really helpful already. Will have the old girl at rolling frame will post some progress pics as I get through it. DG

welcome to the forum - friendly lot on here
my favourite one is your pink one with the white and purple basket on the front

Yes compression is not what it used to be on that one :)

Where you were able to find pistons?
I'm searching for my XS400SE, but no luck so far. :/
Yep Yamaha speed and sport 3rd OS.

Need a few more pics and some info.....what oparts were used what shocks are those ? Hell all sorts of questions............

Here you go some more details. Will take some more pictures and post them next week.
1976 xs resto/custom
Engine - Top end rebuild, with new valves (Ebay Your Trash my Treasure), new timing chain Ebay (japbikespares_oz ), new gaskets/ filters (Ebay aughacashel) , casing bolts (stainlesscycle), seals, exhaust porting, head polish, 3 OS pistons (Yamaha Speed and Sport) and corresponding rebore. New clutch (OEM Yamaha Japan).
Frame and swing arm - blasted and powder coated
Suspension - New rear shocks (JBS) (they are a rip off of ohlins nowhere near as goodas O's but still miles better than 42 YO stock.) new pivot bushes and pivot bolt, fork seals/oil (Pyramid Parts) and new (wirth) prog springs to come old ones are ok but new progressive wirths will be suppler .
Brakes - New front brake master cylinder (Ebay store pulk94696), slave cylinder had new pistons seal kits (CSMNL) put in, new brake lines, new rear pads and linkage. New disk pads (We Moto)
Controls - New acc cable, throttle cable, clutch cable, clubman bars (Mostyn), grips (3rd gear), new foot peg rubbers, new (All Balls) steering head bearings
Instrumentation - Acewell 2853 instrument conversion with cable drive conversion
Induction/fuel - Rebuild and reconditioned mikuni bs34's re jetted 155. New petcock (ebay Advantage Distributing), fuel lines and tank cap (Ebay 24.7vintspares7) , pod filters (mikes xs) new carb boots (Mikes xs)
Exhaust- New custom headers and open mufflers (Mostyn),
Body - Respray covers tank, chain guard, tank electrolysis rust removal, bar end mirrors, and shortened rear and front fender with restore and respray. Stock seat, refurbished seat pan custom foam cut and reupholster.Custom headlight bracket (3rd gear)............and lots of reco and polishing other bits
Electrical - New anti grav Lithium battery (not sure if it gets enough form the reg/rectifier which is still stock) . new points, plugs caps, plugs (mikes xs)and stock coils.New led indicators, replaced headlight (Mostyn).
Wheels - Restored wheels and hubs with new spokes (OEM Taiwan) new wheel bearings (All Balls).Tires Salsa MC7 stock sizing
.Plus lots of other things cleaned or restored or replaced. Wemoto were good for lots of small stuff.
Weight reduction is around 22 kg from stock with luggage rack.

Back