high idle issues...still

Ratracker

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm having idle issues with my '78 tracker build. It does not want to idle down. I've cleaned the carbs a few times and replaced the idle mixture screws as one of them was busted off inside, but I was able to get it out. I put uni foam filters on it and chopped down the stock exhaust/baffles and upped the main jet size 2 sizes. The pilot is still stock (45) and I bench synced the carbs. The intakes are good and sealed well.

When I choke off the left carb the idle slows, but when I try on the right one, the idle doesn't change at all. This makes me think there's an air leak somewhere.

Are there common spots to look on the carb for air leaks?

Would the valves contribute to this problem?

Could timing be the culprit?

Pease someone help me out here cause I'd like to ride and not blow up at a red light! Thanx.:bike:

Yes there are common spots, your intake boot may be cracked or something. Spray some brake cleaner or deodorant or something else flammable around your carbs with the bike running and see if there's any change in idle. If so, there is an air leak.

and yea if your valves are out of spec stuff like this can occur. Do a clearance check.

timing I dont think is often the issue. But never say never of course, but if I were you I'd check other things first.

Sync them with a manometer. If you made the hole larger where the mix screw broke off this will cause the issue also.

Check for leaks around your pods also.If they are leaking I found that you can put a wrap or two of electrical tape over the carb or around the intakes.Also agreed with xschris sync the carbs.You can bench sync them which will get them close then use a m/nanometer to sync them the rest of the way.More than likely your adjustments for the butterflys and your idle screw are way off.lookup google search how to bench sync and the rest of the info for syncing carbs is here on the site.

Check for leaks around your pods also.If they are leaking I found that you can put a wrap or two of electrical tape over the carb or around the intakes.Also agreed with xschris sync the carbs.You can bench sync them which will get them close then use a m/nanometer to sync them the rest of the way.More than likely your adjustments for the butterflys and your idle screw are way off.lookup google search how to bench sync and the rest of the info for syncing carbs is here on the site.

Dudes... all I can say is man a Manometer does wonders! I would suggest everyone do it up. :thumbsup:

Glad you got it That tool does wonders and you are correct a manometer wilprobalysolmost high idle issues that people have after rebuilding their carbs.:)

Back