1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

History of the Yamaha XS400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Travis, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salisride

salisride XS400 Addict

I'm looking around and looking they had 3 tanks for the 400?

2. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

The sohc xs400 used two over the years. A "square" type and the later tear drop.

3. LuckyEight

LuckyEight Head-scratcher

I have the 3rd one... :)

4. salisride

salisride XS400 Addict

I wish I could post pics but there's actually three. The square one had a long seat and cowl which no hump. Then the one I just realized was the third is similar to the tear drop one but drops off sooner and is more in line with the frame. This one has a long seat with a cowl but has a small hump. Then the third is the special edition which is tear drop with shorter seat no cowl and large hump. Google xs400 and you might see it

5. xschris

The "third one" was never sold in the u.s. and was most likely use only in a few European countries. That bike even has a different style shift lever setup.

6. salisride

salisride XS400 Addict

Wow it does, doesn't it I would like one of those tanks :).
    Hey did all the xs's have twin wall pipes ?

7. xschris

Yes. All had double wall head pipes. The early ones where a 2-2 exhausts with no crossover between them. Where the later ones had megaphone style mufflers and a crossover pipe linking them.

8. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

It also has a XS360 style points cover. Did some of the early models have it as well or just this one?

9. xschris

The 77-D, 78 2-E and the 79 2-F had the finned points cover.

10. salisride

salisride XS400 Addict

Hey chris I know you're pretty knowledgeable about these bikes but you said all xs were twin walled pipe what about the xs360? the 400 had a one piece header/baffle. which will leak if aftermarket pipes are clamped on, but the 360 had a two piece exhaust system which came with the baffles clamped on from factory, riddle me that ? haha were they just twin walled, but a tighter fit? the 400 has a good gap between the inner and outer

11. xschris

The 76-77 xs360 and the 77-79 xs400 used the same head pipes. They were also without the vent hole at the top and bottom of them. But there is a vent hole in the muffler just after where the pipe attaches. The 80-82 exhaust inner pipe ran into and was part of the muffler. The early ones where less tuned for over all performance and more a "muffler" to quiet them down. I run both and I prefer the 80-82 style. The 76-77 xs360 and the 77 xs400 did use a different muffler than the later 2-2 style. They look to have a larger outlet hole at the end of them. Maybe a 1.25" hole compared to the 1" on the other models. I don't have a set of them so I can't be sure.

Attached Files:

12. bensonj

bensonj XS400 Member

IMG_5788.JPG

What would that make this thing then. Pretty sure its the 78 400E but more opinions is always good.

13. BBS360

The 2L0 VIN prefix is listed on page 1 of this thread.

14. bensonj

bensonj XS400 Member

Maybe, so but what about the 000595, that's what's throwing me off, unless it doesn't really mean anything

15. BBS360

That's the number of your bike. I believe they're in numerical order so you may have the 595th one of those bikes made.

16. xschris

I think the numbers start at 123, so his would be 472 made for the U.S. market of that model.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  17. MEDEL

MEDEL XS400 Member

Hello everyone, so I read these whole conversation and I didnt see anything that matches my bike. My bike title says is a 82 yamaha thats it and the vin 8th digit is "0" and It would be owesome if some had an answer for me cause is driving me crazy...(I need to find the correct wiring harness)

18. BBS360

The 8th digit is irrelevant. What are the first three?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.