hiw does the clutch work

RadianRider

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up an xs400 and when I got it the sprocket cover was off and I seen that's where the clutch cable connects but I just don't really understand how it works because it doesn't seem like it's really doing anything. I don't have a clutch lever for it so I can't pull on the cable to much but any info would be appreciated

It's actually a pretty cool little mechanism that transforms the linear motion of the clutch cable to a "push" motion that separates the clutch plates in the basket (remember, you can't push with a string!).

When you pull on the clutch lever it puts tension on the clutch cable and pulls an arm attached to the engine block. That rod is attached to a worm gear (part number 16 on the clutch diagram) which turns and forces some kind of flange that rides up the worm gear, which pushes a push-rod (aptly named) and pushes the basket cap (don't know what it's called, part number 7 on the clutch diagram) which releases the force that holds the clutch plates together and allows them to disengage.

I hope that made some sense. It's a super cool system and really simple. Just push on the actuator arm and see the mechanics move (probably have to take the sides off your engine but what the heck, it's all in the name of science! Just be sure to put down some newspaper:thumbsup:

Back