Hooked my XS 400 up to a charger to jump, now won't run?

GraysonFleming

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there, just got a 400 maxim a few days ago. I got it running, the battery was dead, only putting out 10 volts. I'd try to turn it over, and something made a clicking noise? (A box behind the battery), some sort of voltage regulator? Anyways...plugged it into a charger and put it on 12V jump mode. With a little new gas it started! Then, as the bike and 12v charger were running, I accidentally bumped the cables off. Now it won't start, even if I put those cable back on to jump it! No clicking noise, no anything. I must've shorted something? Anyways, when I push start, the lights just get dim, and nothing happens. Any ideas? I'm new to motorcycles so I don't know. Did I short the rectifier? Or the small box that makes the clicking noises under low voltage?

What is the name of the small box directly behind the battery? It's the box that clicks when you don't have enough voltage to crank over the bike. I think it may have gotten a surge and fried itself, it's the only thing that seems to make sense

I would test the fuses with a volt meter to make sure they are still good. Some times the ends inside can burn out at the caps. I would hook it up to a battery that is good after that.

Thanks xchris! It's the first thing in the circuit and seems to be a regulator, would a surge fry it?

If that is fried it still should turn over. That just regulates the voltage off the alternator when the bike is running.

The component you are referring to is the starter solenoid. The regulator is on the left side of the bike beside the ignition module.

Make sure the kill switch is in the run position (switched down, not up!), the bike is in neutral, and you are pulling the clutch lever <- this shouldn't be required, but if there are other electrical problems this may help and it is good to do anyway.

Okay, I am using those starting procedures. And I sure will, the fuses may be the problem. Looks like the PO made a custom fuse box. I will have them and the battery replaced. Was going go bypass the ignition system and have jumper cables go from battery to starter, but since the battery was at 10v I decided it would be better to not induce it to the low voltage. Perhaps could the problem be a battery and fuse? Will get pictures of the box soon. Has anyone else had these problems?

Aren't any other electrical problems I know of. Everything works except ignition circuit. Any idea where I could find a diagram? And what is a good place to get OEM replacement parts?

Service manuals can be found at the top of the Garage, in a sticky post. You have scrolled past it a dozen times by now. Make sure to get the DOHC manuals. They are for the Seca, not the Maxim, but are 95% correct for the Maxim.

Ok. The headlight should turn off when the starter button is pressed. If the gauge and warning lights are dimming, then there is a large draw on the battery which makes me think that the starter solenoid (starter relay switch in the manual) is operating and feeding power to the starter motor. You may have a bad starter motor. What ever you do, don't hit it! There is a lot of fragile aluminium that can be broken.

I'd suggest reading the manual and follow the testing procedure.

Back