Hornix cafe racer

drewpy

Excess twin
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give you guys the link for our dutch friend in the YOC.

he has just completed his xs400 cafe racer and it ROCKS.

click picture for link

I really like the older tanks...I'm going to pick one up in a week or so...I'll use it eventually.
and that bike is exactly as stated clean,elegant!!
I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone on liking the older tanks. 95% of the time, I get "That bike would be awesome if it had a different tank..." lol What's wrong with my tank? I like my tank! lol

tank is on its way...should be here next week sometime
I have to finish the CBR 1000 in the garage...and spray a bedliner kit at some point.
I'll have to enlist a buddy to play camera man.
I've been contemplating the best way to go about the write up...as I said earlier..my methods are sometimes crude...hate to incriminate myself on the www. world!!
But thats some of the point in doing it...its not too hard IMO...its just body work to get it to finish quality...and I like to show what can be done with simple tools.

tank is on its way...should be here next week sometime
I have to finish the CBR 1000 in the garage...and spray a bedliner kit at some point.
I'll have to enlist a buddy to play camera man.
I've been contemplating the best way to go about the write up...as I said earlier..my methods are sometimes crude...hate to incriminate myself on the www. world!!
But thats some of the point in doing it...its not too hard IMO...its just body work to get it to finish quality...and I like to show what can be done with simple tools.
Can't wait!

Hey...that's my bike ;)
Thanx Drewpy, for posting my tiny Grasshopper project.
Little introduction: The name is Martijn and I live in Gouda (I hate cheese), the Netherlands. After having a few fast naked bikes (Hornet, ZRX1100) I lost the interest in riding motorcycles. When the fun started, the drivers license was about to be lost....
I always loved modding the bikes and maintaning them. To give my ZRX some rest, I bought a 1977 XS4002A2. I wanted to reshape it to a low budget (yeah, right) caferacer. It already had a M-stearing bar and I liked the tank shape. This is how I bought it:
DSCN2115Large.jpg

And now, 2 years and a lot of Euro's later I just "finished" project Grasshopper. That's the name my neighbour gave to my bike. Drewpy was the one who gave me usefull info about the wire-wheel conversion. Thanx mate!! I proudly present my bike. We will grow old togheter.
DSCN3067Large.jpg

Wat are the mods?
Double disc conversion, Yamaha R6 14mm master brake cilinder and steel braided hoses. Also a R6 clutch handle for the symmetry.
Frame and swingarm sandblasted and powdercoated.
Look-a-like K&N pods and rejetted carbs (almost got lost in this "adventure"....)
Engine block sandblasted (actually glasspearled)
Raask rearsets, dismanteled the kickstartassembly and put a plug in the engine cover.
Ducati Imola seatcowl
Amazing paintjob, designed together with my 10 year old daughter
Fehling clipon bars
And very many things dismanted/cleaned/paintsprayed/rebuild
For the complete report, here's a link to my topic at the Dutch Motor-Forum:
http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/242933/Hornix-zijn-Yamaha-XS400-2A2-1.html
Google Translate (no pictures):
http://translate.google.com/transla...m/list_messages/242933/0/0/hornix&sl=nl&tl=en
Take your time, it's a lot of reading :)
Meanwhile I started a second project: plus 100cc and with 1 cilinder less....a SR500 big thumper. This baby is from 1993 but it has had a rough life. Used as a winter bike it was a bag of rust when I bought her. But now she's dismanteled and getting lots of love. The biggest eye catcher will be al handmade aluminium stretched Manx tank
This is how I bought her. From a distance it looks not that bad, but the whole frame was greasy and rusted. Tank had scratches and dents, engine leaks etc etc.
DSC00443Large.jpg

this is the here and now. To save the frame from the rustdemon, I degreased and sanded it by hand (nice job, I was black allover) and gave it a fast Hammerite treatment.
When the tank arrives I will modify the frame. The wheels and forks are ready.
DSCN2889Large.jpg

This is a great example of what a SR500 can become:
That's it folks. Since I recently discovered this great forum I have a lot of reading to do.
Yamaha Rocks!!

Welcome Hornix! Great introduction!

The 400 looks perfect man, one of the cleanest builds I've seen here. I love the fact that you included your daughter, that is awesome! I have a four year old son, and I can't help but dream of the day I get him his first bike to build and turn him loose (maybe with a "watchfull" eye....haha).

The SR500 is looking awesome as well, I would love to see some pics as you make progress.

This forum is a beautiful thing in the making. The people are terrific and the knowledge here is unmatched anywhere else for these little twins. I hope you decide to call it your "second home" like I have!! haha

Back