How to find history of bike with VIN

dt1903

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new member to this site and am starting my first build. Its a 400 that was in bits found in a barn in England. I want to find out the exact year, model and general history of the bike to make sure it's all good to restore and customise.
Where do I start? Here in England I know we have HPI etc. But should I find out about the bike through Yamaha first?

Engine and frame are matching numbers 2A2-007313. Which I believe is a 400D 1977? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any help appreciated with is as I will need to apply for the right documents here and don't want to build it and find I've got something I have to give away or scrap!

Thanks

that's a low engine number. standard bike with squared off fins and tank.

you wanting a "how to" to rebuild your bike? :eek:

Just after some info on who I should check out the VIN with mate. DVLA, HPI etc? I've always had bikes with V5 already and never had to do this so want to know where is best to go first instead of, for instance, going to DVLA and then finding out I should have gone to HPI first or whatever.

Is it registered?

First thing to do is apply for a V5c, Use form V62 (I think) and send it with £25 and 6 weeks later you will have a V5c as long as no one else objects, stolen from a previous owner or whatever. The V5c will have engine number and chassis number on it to double check. HPI is probably a pointless expense for something that may not have been on the road for years.

Remember and SORN it immediately, think the soonest you can do this is with the new V5c.

It's not got a plate and this is why I wanted to find out what the first step should be. Is it still doing the V62 form nickso? Even if I don't have reg details?

Cheers for the help all

Getting it registered could be a ballache and not something I have done. You know how difficult the DVLA can be if they want to be. I agree with Drewpy, try an HPI and pray it has a plate. If it does getting the V5c will be as I said above.

Sorry for the confusion. Guess I didn't word the title very well.

I'll try HPI and see what comes up.

Thanks!

Back