how to hard tail a xs400. any ideas?

volcomskater77

XS400 Chopophile
Top Contributor
Reaction score
im planning on hardtailing my 400 and since its got that double backbone, i cant use a normal universal kit, and PSW is expensive. so who has pictures and explanations of ways to do it? whether it be a plate or going right to the to tubes where the swing arm mounts, im open to anything and even after i hardtail it, lets keep this going so future members can see all the examples.

^ That "bolt on" kit is the same as a "weld on" kit.. It just comes with some extra plates for the bolts. You could just not use them and weld it to your bike. :thumbsup:

Here's what I did recently... sleeved top tube, plus used thicker steel, its held up great so far- with no signs of stress or wear.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 650
Yeah maybe! :wink2: I would just personally want something to save my ass from the rear tire if I were to slide back.. Let me guess, you're running without a front brake too? :D

Yeah maybe! :wink2: I would just personally want something to save my ass from the rear tire if I were to slide back.. Let me guess, you're running without a front brake too? :D
No, I actually have a front brake, although its a drum, as is the rear. I used to run a rear fender, until a drunk buddy fell into my drill press, which then in turn fell onto the rear of the bike. Only damage was to the fender, and I just never got around to fixing it and re-installing. I actually started to dig the look without one, so motivation to fix it was hard to come by. lol I am considering on running a rear fender when I rebuild the bike this winter, just so I can match the paint on the tank, and give a more "balanced" look to it. I guess we'll see! haha

Mine started without a rear fender and I rode it for a few weeks that way. The thought of the ultimate wedgie finally won out. I still love the look of no fender.

Hehe, no rear fenders do look cool, until it rains and you rooster tail mud for 300 miles. Then, you're that guys at the bar with what looks like a questionable mud trail up your rear end :)

Back