How to rebuild your leaky or starving petcock

JARichmond

XSively Addicted
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this has been a tutorial that I've had to wing a couple of times because I have bad luck buying preassembled petcocks. So I though it would be a good idea to start a how-to on rebuilding an OEM petcock. Of course, if you want to switch to a simple ON/OFF valve, that can also be an easy method if you don't mind spending a bit of extra cash.

A little foreword, my petcock was rebuilt previously, so the parts I'm using are from a rebuild kit. The exact kit, I cannot be sure of.

So here goes:

First off here are the materials you will need:
a new vacuum line
a small peice of ScotchBrite
a #2 phillips screwdriver
600# wet/dry sandpaper
a very small dental (o-ring) pick
IMG184.jpg

You're going to want to have your leaky OEM petcock on hand like I have here:
IMG158.jpg

Pretty shiny huh?
I've done a purely cosmetic polishing already by using Q-tips and seafoam to remove most of the oil and dirt from 30 or so years of abuse. Make sure that when you clean up your petcock, you disassemble it into the basic pieces as shown below:
IMG159.jpg

IMG163.jpg

By disassembling it before cleaning, you can be sure that your o-rings will not be immersed in the solution. When they are introduced into a petroleum environment, they tend to puff out and refuse to reassemble due to clearance issues.

So let's get down to the meat and potatoes of why your petcock is leaking.
Your petcock operates on a gravity system controlled by valves.

This is your vacuum-operated valve. It opens when your engine is running to allow fuel to flow into your gas line. If your petcock is leaking out the bottom when set to ON or RES, it's likely that this valve is not making a proper seal. This can also be due to the spacer (as seen later) being installed backwards. We will fix that down below if that's an issue.
IMG164.jpg

If you are starving your engine on a regular basis, you may have a vacuum leak causing not enough negative pressure to be exerted on the vacuum valve.

If you are leaking fuel out of the middle, your spacer may be installed backwards or your gaskets are leaking. They will be included in some rebuild kits.

If you find fuel in your vacuum line, you have a leak in your gasket and must replace it.

Remove your selector gasket like so. You can use a dental pick (as seen a little later when removing the tiny o-ring on your vacuum valve.
IMG160.jpg

When disassembling the back of your petcock, remove the four screws holding the back plate on. Watch for a spring. It can get lost, and is often small.
IMG168.jpg

A note: If you don't order a rebuild kit, you can pull your spring to increase the spring pressure temporarily. This is not a permanent solution as it will compress eventually, so take other steps too.

My PO had purchased a rebuild kit but didn't do a good job, and so I had a leaky petcock with an in-line ON/OFF valve installed.
In the rebuild kit you will likely have a new set of o-rings, gaskets, a longer spring, and new piston assembly attached to your two rear gaskets. you may or may not have a new spacer plate so you might have to use your old one (which isn't known as a problem part)

Remove your tiny o-ring and replace if cracked, hard, or otherwise done-for.
IMG166.jpg

IMG167.jpg

I installed a tiny nut at the rear of my petcock to increase my spring pressure. This can be done to avoid purchasing a rebuild kit if your gaskets and o-rings are in proper working order.
IMG169.jpg

Sand all mating surfaces with 600# wet/dry sandpaper to remove all corrosion and make a good seal.
IMG170.jpg

IMG172.jpg

Using a small piece of ScotchBrite, clean the mating surface of your tiny o-ring inside of its housing. Be sure to remove any scratches or pitting or your work will be for naught.
IMG173.jpg

These surfaces should be shiny:
IMG175.jpg

also clean up the large o-ring race using your 600#
IMG176.jpg

Don't forget the top of your petcock where it attaches to the tank. Clean it with your 600#. If you purchased a rebuild kit, it will likely come with an oval o-ring for the top.
IMG177.jpg

HALT! CLEAN OFF YOUR PARTS! Aluminum shavings in your petcock will damage o-rings, clog up your in-line fuel filter, and/or damage your carbs

Reinstall your selector valve gasket:
IMG178.jpg

When installing your plastic spacer, note the following slot:
IMG179.jpg

Ensure it is installed like so:
IMG180.jpg

Looking at the petcock from the front, the slot should be at the front of the spacer, pointing to the right, and slightly down.

Reinstall the rear of the petcock, tightening down all four screws in an X pattern.
To seat the valve, lightly press onto the steel piston using a thin screwdriver a few times, allowing it to engage and disengage.
IMG181.jpg

Install your large, circular o-ring on the selector valve and carefully push the valve into the clean race.
Install your wave washer. It's supposed to look bent, so don't straighten it.
IMG182.jpg

Your petcock should look similar to this.
IMG183.jpg

TA DAH!

Footnotes:
Don't forget your in-tank filter, of course. If it's anything like mine, the reserve side (without the tube) will be on the right side when looking at your petcock from the front.
I suggest you replace your vacuum line with a clear tube. Not only is it cleaner looking, but it serves as an excellent diagnostic if your middle gaskets break down. You will find there is fluid in the line.

Thanks Jar, I just got a new one from a salvage yard that I intend to put on my new knee dent tank. I will use this to go through it and clean it up. Nice work

Thanks for that how-to. I might need to do that to mine. Quick question. The lever picture at the very end. Is that on fuel then? Or, does the long lever part act as the pointer to the selection you want? Thanks again for the awesome how-to, have a great day!

Now I know why my petcock gave me so many problems when I first bought the bike. It has no spring in it. I am glad I bought a whole other petcock after I attempted to rebuild the original one. I guess the previous owner had given the rebuild a go and lost the spring.

Thanks for that how-to. I might need to do that to mine. Quick question. The lever picture at the very end. Is that on fuel then? Or, does the long lever part act as the pointer to the selection you want? Thanks again for the awesome how-to, have a great day!

If you had the lever turned a quarter turn clockwise, you would be on reserve, so the lever overlaps the selection. I had wondered that for a while myself, but once you take apart the petcock and figure out how all the passages work, it makes sense.

If you had the lever turned a quarter turn clockwise, you would be on reserve, so the lever overlaps the selection. I had wondered that for a while myself, but once you take apart the petcock and figure out how all the passages work, it makes sense.

Thanks alot, have a great day!

Gold Star! Great write up!

by the way, my older brother and I did this on a kz 400 the day before his wedding in the frigid seattle rain, but it was fun to do and we found the carb has kreem blocking an inlet jet. (looks like a sliver of plastic supermarket bag)

We also realized the wave washer needs to be bent. Great details!

i've got an 81 xs400h, rebuilt the petcock following this and one other tutorial, everything looks immaculate and the piston/o-ring are seating well, but it still pisses fuel out in any position

i've rebuilt it multiple times now to check if i duffed it, but everything looks correct and yet it still flows freely when set to ON or RES. and its not just a trickle that might indicate a leaky gasket, ON flows about 50% as much as PRIME

to clarify, im positive the diaphragm, gaskets, and plastic spacer are all in correctly

has anyone else had this issue?

i've got an 81 xs400h, rebuilt the petcock following this and one other tutorial, everything looks immaculate and the piston/o-ring are seating well, but it still pisses fuel out in any position

i've rebuilt it multiple times now to check if i duffed it, but everything looks correct and yet it still flows freely when set to ON or RES. and its not just a trickle that might indicate a leaky gasket, ON flows about 50% as much as PRIME

to clarify, im positive the diaphragm, gaskets, and plastic spacer are all in correctly

has anyone else had this issue?

I have the same issue. I equate it to the the little O ring and its seat. I am using a new square diaphragm from a 1100 rebuild kit (its the only one that would fit) and i noticed that the metal cylinder that the little O ring sits on is a little different. This is causing it to not sit in its seat correctly. also make sure your spring has enough spring to it. If its too weak it wont hold a good seal.

Thanks for the write up,I just went through mine and cleaned up nicely a day or so ago.I didnt find much wrong with the petcok but the filter going into the tank was quite bad.

Question: should the selector valve be hard to move after rebuild?!im doing mine now and the new gasket seems slightly bigger and after install the selector takes quite a bit of force to move...seems wrong

It'll be pretty difficult to move because you have an o-ring hard pressed in. It'll be easier to move as it wears in and seats more comfortably. Try cycling it between reserve and prime a few times to speed up the process.

Yes, after a rebuild, if you installed a new oring or rubber surface, it will be harder to move at first. A good tip is to lubricate rubber parts in petcocks with a light film of oil if they are screwed in, like some old reserve bowls, to keep them from spinning out of position. you can Lube the part of your petcock that is rubbing on your switch too, with a tiny film of oil.

Regards

Drewcifer

Back