How to remove carbs + air filter box on '82 Maxim

Yamahajesus

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So, finally tore apart most of the bike yesterday during some beautiful minnesota sunshine, and got it running for the first time in 3 years. However, once I took away any of the choke or added some throttle, the engine would stall out.

I'm aware this probably has to do with the carburetor, but the frame is so slim and everything so tightly packed on my bike that I can't figure out how to get the plastic bits out. I'm talking about the air filter box, which had the filter are held in place by piece of cardboard, is connected to the carbs and in the way. Does anybody have some pictures or maybe a walk through of how to take off the carbs on a Maxim, the manual isn't very helpful.

Attachments

• IMAG0135.jpg
    IMAG0135.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,305
  • IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,555
Last edited:
here's how I do it on my seca (same setup as the maxim)

1 Remove the fuel line, vacuum line, choke and throttle cables from the carbs.
2 remove the side covers and the tank
3 loosen all the ring clamps on the rubbers between the air box and the carbs, and the carb boots and the cylinders
4 loosen the airbox housing. You can keep the battery in place, but if you want to make it easy for yourself remove that first. The airbox has 4 bolts I believe, 2 on top and one on each side
5 remove the allen head bolts holding the intake boots on the cylinder heads
6 pull the air box backwards within the bike and pull the carbs out of the intake boots (push them into the air box). This takes some effort and you may have to use some tools (big flat blade screwdriver or something)
7 remove the intake boots
8 pull the carbs forward out of the air box and slide them out the side
9 cover the intakes of you cylinders by stuffing some rags or newspapers in there

As much as I like the looks of of the maxium Im glad in a way I don't own one.I almost bought one before I bought my xs.Everything I read about these bikes seems to be a bike mechanics nightmare.I hope your able to figure it out I realy cant offer much input except good luck and don't bust to many knuckles:laugh:

Back