How to remove carbs on 1982 XS400 Maxim

TonyB

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Need to remove carbs to clean them out, no fuel getting to RH carb. Do I need to remove the air box to get the carbs out. If so how do I get the air box out. Thanks,
TonyB

Thanks for the detailed response Jared, I really appreciate it. One other question, does the vacuum pipe from the petcock go to the RH or LH carb.......Regards,
TontB

Thanks for the detailed response Jared, I really appreciate it. One other question, does the vacuum pipe from the petcock go to the RH or LH carb.......Regards,
TontB

LH - it's a short line on the side of the petcock.

The RH carb boot just has a plug on it, and is used when you're syncing the carbs.

Thanks Jared, I have no fuel going to the RH Carb, so must be totally plugged, correct, or should I be looking at something else before I pull the carbs, thanks again.

TonyB

Yeah, probably a plugged passage. If you haven't yet taken the carbs apart since you got the bike, it's a good idea to give them a good cleaning. I'll be cleaning them for the third time this season to get those last gremlins out.

Make sure you get all the rubber seals out before you start blasting them with carb cleaner, or boiling them. That includes the butterfly seals, and the tiny little rubber o-rings and washers under the idle mixture screws.

They might be a bit stubborn. The backside of the screws that hold the butterflies in are pressed/knurled. Just make sure you have the right size screwdriver bit so you don't strip the screw head. Mine came out just fine.

And put a bit of locktite on the screws when you reassemble - don't want those screws coming off and flying into your engine!

Back