HOW-TO: split your crankcase

Awsome write up volcom, im definatly going to refer to this later so thanks for posting!

Hey just a quick question, will this allow access to change out second gear? I recently had a 'barn find' XS given to me. With a bit of work and a lotta love, I got it running but when i took it for a spin it makes a god awful clanking sound ONLY in second gear :yikes:

The motor runs really nice and all the other gears are great, they change and run smoothly. What do you guys think? Any help or opinions is really appreciated!

Hay Volcomskater, I just want to do a "Bottom end rebuild" would I have to do Strip everything off, is there anything I could skip doing, if I am only doing the Bottom????? Perhaps I am just showing that I am lazy, (Okay) but if I dont have to pull off the cylinders, I would be happy, I thought of pm'ing this, but then I thought there may be others out there too. with this same question.

you might be able to take it apart that way but it would be really tough to get the pistons back in the jugs when your reassmebling. i would just do it all, its not that bad man. folow the haynes manual when assembling and your good

actually, i put mine together and forgot something, so i had to split the case again to fix whatever i F'd up. so what i did is split the case, held onto the crank and pulled the jugs and top half of the case up, and left the trans and stuff in the bottom. worked well enough. but you might as well do the whole thing. no harm in knowing exactly whats going on with your engine

Do you or anyone have instructions/pictures of dis-assembly of the top end? I need to know how to get to the picture you have of the pistons in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a gasket that is leaking. Is this the cylinder base gasket?

Attachments

• xs400 engine.jpg
    xs400 engine.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Do you or anyone have instructions/pictures of dis-assembly of the top end? I need to know how to get to the picture you have of the pistons in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a gasket that is leaking. Is this the cylinder base gasket?

can you start a new thread please, this thread is for splitting crank cases.

:hijack:

ALSO... When re assembling, make sure the face of both case halves are clean ( there is no gasket) .. apply a thin layer of gasket sealent on one side.. the tightening patterns and torque specs can be found in the manuals which you can download for free in the garage forum:thumbsup:

great guide =] to bad the original manual didnt have this write up in it ! will be refering to this in a couple days

I just put mine back together dude, Don't over torque them! Just snapped one one the front ones but I'm Lock Tightening it in so fk it lol everything else seems fine tho :)

half way =] starting on the block of wood and hammer part tomorrow ! just curious do i need to remove anything besides the side covers to remove the bottom of the crank case? i just have a feeling in my gut that im doing something wrong but im following your tut. to the tee... will let you know how it goes =] thank you so much volcom for doing this tutorial !

Hi Guys,

I found this write up very helpful in the disassembly of my XS250 SE - BUT I counted 21 bolts when I removed them and the manual I found shows only 20. Anyone got any ideas where the 21st bolt goes??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lester

I split a case yesterday. So I can give a little correction.

There is no bolt in the black marked place, see attachment. It is just a blind hole. At least in my engine.
In the Yamaha workshop manuals there is no bolt in this place too.

Attachments

• Engine_bottom_kor.jpg
    Engine_bottom_kor.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 495
Back