Liamthedevastator

It's dingaling'n time
Reaction score
I want to start this off with a big thank you to everyone who completed their start deletes and shared it on the forum. Also a big thank you to my fiancé who took the photos while I mucked about with my starter motor. I got all of my info from this thread:

http://www.xs400.com/threads/how-to-cover-starter-hole-when-starter-is-removed.6204/

It is an extremely simple task (took me 10 minutes total) and does not require any tools beyond what you should already have available. You can use a freeze plug (on the '77 the hole is ~46mm) or an expanding rubber plug. I like the simplicity of the expandable rubber plug, and it doesn't require any sealant, and it was only $8 from Lordco (Napa, etc.).

Step 1: Remove the stator cover.

Remove the bolts fastening the stator cover to the engine block. Be sure to unfasten the oil pressure sensor and neutral indicator leads from their respective terminals before removing the stator cover to avoid damaging them (highlighted with green dots).

pVetr2J.jpg

Step 2: Remove the starter chain guide, starter cog and chain.

Pull the cog off the starter's splined shaft and lift the chain off the starter gear thingy [technical term to come].

Klsu4fL.jpg

NF6U4FY.jpg

Step 3: Remove the two fasteners securing the starter motor...

Remove the two 10mm bolts that fasten the starter motor to the engine block.

SngrEo9.jpg

Step 4: ...Then remove the starter motor.

Push on the starter shaft to unseat the front of the starter motor from the hole, then lift the motor from the back to remove it from the cradle.

cWoIIVS.jpg

dp8gORC.jpg

Step 5: Clean the inner face of the hole, insert expanding plug and tighten.

Pretty straight forward; clean it and stick the expandable plug in the hole. Pre-tighten the plug a bit before inserting it into the whole so it grips the metal quicker and easier. DO NOT USE ANY SEALANT OR GREASE ON THE PLUG -- it needs to grip the metal and the rubber will completely seal the hole. Tighten the plug bolt until the rubber "muffin-tops" around the inner edge of the hole.

MuonbvG.jpg

Step 6: Reassemble and admire.

Put the stator cover back on, tighten everything down, and admire the glory of your 10 minute, $8.00 starter delete.

H9oW9Ci.jpg

OGTW68K.jpg

Sadly there is no how-to for making brackets for the starter motor cover but if I ever get to that I will update this. I hope this helps some people like the other how-to's have helped me!

You can also remove the starter clutch/sprocket and save another 2+lbs.

You can also remove the starter clutch/sprocket and save another 2+lbs.

And once you have all those parts off put them in a flat rate USPS box and send them to me so I can install them on my 1978:laugh2:. That will save some space in your garage for other things:wink2:

And once you have all those parts off put them in a flat rate USPS box and send them to me...

Once I get my rear tire/chain/engine back in the frame I'll be able to pull the starter clutch assembly, and you can have it. Unless you or xschris knows some way to put the stator bolt back on while the engine has nothing to keep it from turning over then that's going to be a little while :(

Wasn't there a "kit" of sorts by getting a few earlier xs360 parts (there were kickstart only versions) and installing them? Anyone have those part numbers?
Great job by the way, Liam. Once I have my bike up and running I plan to eliminate the electric start as well.

Last edited:
Thanks, this is exactly what I need. I'm in the middle of this process and just found the freeze plug thing on another thread.

However, one question. In the very last photo, there is a small rectangular hole under the freeze plug. That hole drains back into the crank case... how do you keep water out of it?

That hole drains back into the crank case...

That hole is for water or oil to drain out of the starter motor cavity. It doesn't feed directly back into the crankcase so you don't have to do anything. If you really want to you could put some putty or JB weld, but I didn't bother.

Oh ok, great. Then I'll be good with just the freeze plug - thanks!

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help someone out. Like I said in my preamble, this tutorial is an amalgamation of knowledge and problem solving that XS400 forum members have shared over several threads. I tried to credit them to the best of my ability, but if you find more information or something that went without due credit please let me know!

I would be without a working XS if it weren't for all these fine folks.

Back