I am close to giving up

Start from what you know..

1) try some easy start in the jugs. take out the sparkies and spray inside both cyls.

If it fires up both cyls, its a carb issue.

2) depends on what happens in 1

i think it will be easier to modify the Keihins... lol I am looking at two choices for the Keihins. One is to modify the gang connector brackets to close the two Keihins up by .75 inches to match the yamaha boots... the other is to try and see f the Yammi 650 boots will fit the Keihins. If i can get the Yammi 650 boots to fit then it will be easy for others to do. If it requires fabricating a new gang connector and to shorten the shafts it will be too much for most owners to deal with.

Have you tried putting some ether in the side that don't fire? If you have compression spark, fuel it should fire. Also valve clearance is 0.0031-0.0047 intake and 0.0063-0.0078 exhaust I do a easy sliding .003-.006 (cold) Also could you post some pics of what you have that might help too.

I have emails from other forums suggesting they too would prefer to toss out the Mikunis. Seems more people than a few are fed up with crap engineering... If I can get the Keihins to work with no fabrication needed, it will be a choice for SX owners

Pull the carbs off and spray some ether in the holes if if don't fire it's not the carbs:wink2:

yes in a previous posting i stated I have set the valve lash at .005 for the intake and .008 for the exhaust. pics will not show anything different from the pics in the manual... Nothing I have done to the bike will show any different from the stock pictures in the manuals...

However if I am successful with the Keihins, I will post pics for all to see.

Dude. Pics. We are just wasting time here until we SEE why your set up is failing to work.

You ARE just wasting time. From the beginning he's been set on making the Kehins work and providing an option to stock carbs. Not an entirely bad idea in the realm of cost and availability, but that whole point has been ignored in "defense" of properly set up stockers. Not every rider/builder/enthusiast is a purist. OP isn't interested in making the stockers work, he already doesn't like them. I've never been big on CV carbs on modified (and that includes pipes and pods) bikes either. They're just too sensitive to the small changes, which eclipses any real gains.

That being said, the motor is an air pump of a given displacement. The only thing that makes it sensitive to changes in exhaust or filters is the carb itself and it's ability to feed the motor the proper air fuel mix. Touchy carbs are touchy carbs. If minor changes require such fine tuning just to run, why not use something that makes the job easier and cheaper? Unless you're doing a resto, it shouldn't really matter.

I rode a stock XS400 home from purchase and it ran like a raped ape. Now I can't get it to stay lit. NOTHING changed. It just sat for a week or so. And I'm not worried about it until I need to be. It's a back burner project at this point, so not seeking advice at the moment.
Good diagnosis thread, and all info is worth reading and learning.

To the OP, XS650 boots will not work on XS400 intake, the port center is .060" off the centerline between the bolts, and the port size is bigger on the 650, and the bolt spacing is different... I just got done machining intake flanges for both motors (for single carb manifolds) and they both fit what they're supposed to fit, but not each other.

I have one boot here that looks as if it will work. If I had its mate or knew what bike it came off of, I could get the the other side. It fits the Keihun carb, and fits the XS400 at the flange. It has about a .4 inch offset that I need to mount the Keihins about .75 inches farther apart than the Mikunis. I assumed they were XS650, as I used to have 3 of those bikes, and still have a bunch of spares for them.

If anyone knows what boots might be used for the task I will try and find em. The alternative would be to narrow the Keihins to fit, but that requires more fabrication skills than most XS enthusiasts might have. Therefore a bolt on simple swap job is more what I am after to allow me to ride a worry free no hassle bike and to offer the XS community a better or at least an alternative solution. The Honda carbs (Keihin) are a far better carb than the Mikunis.

Last edited:
Well .005 in Canada is the same as .005 in the UK or in the USA. .008 is also the same in all other areas of the globe....
The manual here (Factory Yamaha service manual) says: .003 - .005 for the Intake and .006 - .008 for the exhaust. Do other manuals state something different?
I usually favour the larger end of the suggestions... as I think any valve clatter is normally never heard over the rattle of other things, such as tensioner chains, cam chains, oil pump chains etc etc.

oy vey

those are flickr. No offense brovolone but I don't have time to wait for them to load.

upload to your album and paste the bbcode to the thread.

Its just my pride hurting. i love when the forum saves the day but I feel like we can't "SEE" it well enough to solve. I'll keep the faith. Sometimes a dude will chime in with the answer a few days later. I couldn't open the flickr pics. Are they passworded? I just got a black screen.

Well .005 in Canada is the same as .005 in the UK or in the USA. .008 is also the same in all other areas of the globe....
The manual here (Factory Yamaha service manual) says: .003 - .005 for the Intake and .006 - .008 for the exhaust. Do other manuals state something different?
I usually favour the larger end of the suggestions... as I think any valve clatter is normally never heard over the rattle of other things, such as tensioner chains, cam chains, oil pump chains etc etc.

I think we are talking in 2 different measurements here;

0.08mm = 0.003 in
0.16mm = 0063 in

can peeps be a bit more descriptive when posting?

I prefer work in mm as they are metric bikes after all :)

Back