1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

I did it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the Road...............Sort of......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spectra, Feb 15, 2018.

1. NewHavenMike

NewHavenMike 1976 XS360C Top Contributor

I vote for leaving the gas tank the way it is:D

spectra likes this.
  2. spectra

spectra XS400 Junkie Top Contributor

I wouldnt mind but its pretty rough looking. The paint has seen better days and there is some rust to deal with. Also the side covers do not match.

Petew likes this.
  3. Petew

Petew XS400 True Believer Top Contributor

I say grey. I actually thought of a grey myself, and if I can't find the brown I like I am probably looking at a silver.

spectra likes this.
  4. Petew

I really like how the exhaust disappears under the bike, is that a Mac system?

5. spectra

Yes its a MAC exhaust. I dont like hte fact that you have to modify parts to make it fit but..............

Petew likes this.
  6. Petew

It is cool, 2 into one.I really want a set for the red race-style bike.

spectra likes this.
  7. spectra

Almost there..........tank had some color put on it today and hopefully clear it tomorrow to make it pop........

seat pan / rear fender is done and just need to get a seat made to fit it........after that bike is pretty much ready to take its first cruise to see if the rear tire hits the chain.......poor 130 is just a little to big I think....... IMG_5399.jpg IMG_5401.jpg

Petew likes this.
  8. Petew

Man, that is a great color! I hope the clear brings it out more too!

9. NewHavenMike

I agree that looks awesome. That color is pretty close to my 360s factory color. Theres a place that makes replica decals for these tanks and they are color matched to the original color. https://rddecals.afegraphics.com/index.php?adminshopping=&cat_id=19170&catname='XS Line'

Id be nice if they offered some of the other designs. Yamaha did great work with their decals and color choices in the 70s..

My next bike is going to have a nice color like yours that pops out. Im so tired of seeing black eveything..

10. spectra

Tossed on 3 coats of clear and it came out pretty good. Has a few issues but hell it was from a bomb can o cant complain.........if I had a booth it would have turned out a little better I think but hey its a old school bike so the paint goes with it.......

Also rebuilt the petcock and hopefully get it on the bike in the next few days........just need to figure out a seat and am done and off to the next build........

IMG_5418.jpg

Side cover IMG_5419.jpg

Petew and BBS360 like this.
  11. Petew

MAN!!! That is top notch Spectra!! Once again a great looking project!

spectra likes this.
  12. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Fuel resistant clear?

13. spectra

It was a automotive grade 2 apart clear in a bomb can. It should be as I have seen it used on tanks. I also rebuilt the cap with a new gasket so hopefully no leaks.

Petew likes this.
  14. spectra

Well today was the day............put on the rebuilt petcock and put some fuel in it...........and it leaked :laugh2: so I was scrambling around the garage and yanked the tank off and drained it.......found a petcock I knew worked and put it on the tank and we went for a quick ride around the hood. Bike seems to work pretty well but the MAC exhaust sounds like ass.............have a 18" Cone Engineering on the way hopefully sounds a little better........

Anyway a few pics and yes still needs a seat........wife says go with brown leather but I am not sure whats do people think? I am building the pan and have foam to fit once its ready then off to the upholstery guy......,

Hard to believe it looked like this when I started covered in moss :laugh2:

One thing I will say is it needs rearsets on it........I feel like a monkey on a football........these bikes are just a tad to small for me.

IMG_4600.jpg IMG_5422.jpg IMG_5425.jpg

15. Petew

I agree with the wife, I would go brown leather

16. kshansen

kshansen XS400 Addict

Sounds like the next project is about to start! Looks good!
    As for seat color I'd be tempted to find something as close to the color of the brown leather you can find and just mock up a seat to take a couple pictures to get an idea of how it would look.

Heck even duct tape some cardboard together ad find some cheap rattle can paint close to the color would at least hep you picture what it would look like!

17. NewHavenMike

My seat is brown leather. Since my bike is sort of a similar color scheme, Ill get a pic of my seat with the tank for you when I can so you can get an idea.

I do know that I bought the leather from an EBay seller who sells all kinds of scrap leather. The section I picked up is enough for at least 2 seats and the price was very cheap.

18. spectra

I like it did you make the pan yourself? If so what foam did you go with? I am having issues finding decent foam to start off with.......

19. Petew

Look for high density marine foam.