I did it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the Road...............Sort of......

Well upon further review :redface: I didn't see the collar in the old bearing comes out........stupid me :doh: all good now but to late to do anything.........

Waited for the new brakes to show up and got everything mounted and even polished it all up......View attachment 31403

Then pulled out the new bearings I got from all balls and this.....................

View attachment 31404

Bottom bearing fits but the hole diameter isn't the same as the top one.........wtf I think someone screwed the pooch somewhere.........so now waiting as I cant put anything together now........

Upon searching I see Mikes carries this exact same kit and says it fits my year..........wonder if somehow the wrong bearing got put in my kit or ?
What do you use to polish with, your results seem much better than mine do.

What do you use to polish with, your results seem much better than mine do.

:laugh2: you need the right tools Pete.............I used to have a nice Baldor polisher that was 1HP or so but sold it as I didn't use it much anymore then got into the bikes........now I just use a simple dewalt grinder that I buy at home depot. You need something that spins a decent speed and it will heat up the materil when polishing.

IMG_4705.jpg

Super, I have a grinder now. I will purchase a polishing attachment and give it a try! Thanks...now to get on the welder thing!
My younger brother has a flux welder that I thought I could learn some basics with. I know most don't feel it the best option but sometimes you dance with the one you brought.

Super, I have a grinder now. I will purchase a polishing attachment and give it a try! Thanks...now to get on the welder thing!
My younger brother has a flux welder that I thought I could learn some basics with. I know most don't feel it the best option but sometimes you dance with the one you brought.

The flux core works its just really messy and also not as strong as a gas welder. I find the welds are more brittle than hard wire and gas. Better yet a tig machine but those are not cheap. I have one but never use it......been years since I pulled it out and dusted it off.

The flux core works its just really messy and also not as strong as a gas welder. I find the welds are more brittle than hard wire and gas. Better yet a tig machine but those are not cheap. I have one but never use it......been years since I pulled it out and dusted it off.
I decided I would try some first before I made the money outlay. I am basically done with both of these bikes now. I would require a new project ( like you seem to be able to find!) before I could justify the cash so I will borrow little brother's and practice on the old frame I have left around.

I decided I would try some first before I made the money outlay. I am basically done with both of these bikes now. I would require a new project ( like you seem to be able to find!) before I could justify the cash so I will borrow little brother's and practice on the old frame I have left around.
...and I just walked back in after buying a buffer setup for my grinder....

...and I just walked back in after buying a buffer setup for my grinder....

Funny you say that I went to use that grinder to sand a little off some shocks I picked up as the metal sleeves were to big to slide up into the frame on the 400 and pop the magic smoke escaped from the grinder :D hell the thing was almost brand new........oh well a trip to the dewalt service center now......funny thing is I have an old crusty one that the bearings are noisy as hell in and its probably 15 years old or better and used all to hell.

Anyway parts came in from Mikes and was able to get a few things done. Thanks Chris for the tip on the sleeve for the swing arm that thing slid in like butter.....also need to figure out the front brake set up but that shouldn't be to bad. Headlight is the big one still not sure what I want to do.

IMG_4730.jpg
IMG_4732.jpg

That is tragic! Love the look so far! I found that hook and loop attachment does not work well for buffing pad on grinder- shot it like a frisbee off my chest all the way across the basement! Got to find a better set up

That is tragic! Love the look so far! I found that hook and loop attachment does not work well for buffing pad on grinder- shot it like a frisbee off my chest all the way across the basement! Got to find a better set up

What I use is a 5" made for a bench style. Has a single hole in the center and I just use the nuts that hold a grinding wheel on. The hook and loop is a bitch but does work. I have an attachment for 3m pads that I use on the grinder also.

Oh also spent the afternoon cleaning this mess.........

IMG_4734.jpg

What I use is a 5" made for a bench style. Has a single hole in the center and I just use the nuts that hold a grinding wheel on. The hook and loop is a bitch but does work. I have an attachment for 3m pads that I use on the grinder also.

Oh also spent the afternoon cleaning this mess.........

View attachment 31423
I wish I had the parts resource that you gained when you got the package of bikes. I am jealous as hell. Is that the motor that was in your project? It looks better than what I started with!The hook and loop works great for the sanding pads , just not the buffer. I will probably get the same type as you have used and see what it does for me. I build guitars too and a buffer would come in handy for finish work. I have an orbital, but the jitterbug just isn't up to the task of anything more than waxing the car.

Funny you say that I went to use that grinder to sand a little off some shocks I picked up as the metal sleeves were to big to slide up into the frame on the 400 and pop the magic smoke escaped from the grinder :D hell the thing was almost brand new........oh well a trip to the dewalt service center now......funny thing is I have an old crusty one that the bearings are noisy as hell in and its probably 15 years old or better and used all to hell.

Anyway parts came in from Mikes and was able to get a few things done. Thanks Chris for the tip on the sleeve for the swing arm that thing slid in like butter.....also need to figure out the front brake set up but that shouldn't be to bad. Headlight is the big one still not sure what I want to do.

View attachment 31419 View attachment 31421
I love the front disc by the way!

I wish I had the parts resource that you gained when you got the package of bikes. I am jealous as hell. Is that the motor that was in your project? It looks better than what I started with!The hook and loop works great for the sanding pads , just not the buffer. I will probably get the same type as you have used and see what it does for me. I build guitars too and a buffer would come in handy for finish work. I have an orbital, but the jitterbug just isn't up to the task of anything more than waxing the car.

Yes same motor and its a leaker........I think I am going to have to open it up and re seal a few things. It had the normal mess around the wires and sprocket but cleaned up pretty good. If the weather holds out today may try and soda blast the fins to get the moss out of it.......

I still have another complete motor that was going to be my rebuild if I ever got that venturous :D I like wrenching on things but am just a backyard hack.......motors are not really my thing......but I guess there comes a time right.

I love the front disc by the way!

Thanks need to get a piece of aluminum and make a bracket for the caliper. I have a set off a Kawi 12R somewhere and I think I can make one work.

Yes same motor and its a leaker........I think I am going to have to open it up and re seal a few things. It had the normal mess around the wires and sprocket but cleaned up pretty good. If the weather holds out today may try and soda blast the fins to get the moss out of it.......

I still have another complete motor that was going to be my rebuild if I ever got that venturous :D I like wrenching on things but am just a backyard hack.......motors are not really my thing......but I guess there comes a time right.

Thanks need to get a piece of aluminum and make a bracket for the caliper. I have a set off a Kawi 12R somewhere and I think I can make one work.
I was not a motorcycle guy at all until that orange bike. The broken kick journal started it all, it made me confident enough to do the next one. I would wager , with your attention to detail, that you would be fine. They are actually pretty easy if you take your time.

About 20lbs of soda and it doesn't look to bad........that factory black on the cylinders was a bitch to get off........tried stripper and blasting but still a little there. The soda is pretty weak really glass bead would be better but I have no containment area for the glass bead.

Also hit the carbs and taking a few pieces to powder coater this week.

IMG_4749.jpg
IMG_4750.jpg
IMG_4751.jpg

Yeah, soda is nice but some things just won't come off with it.
Beware glass beads though, they will texture aluminum surfaces.

Yeah, soda is nice but some things just won't come off with it.
Beware glass beads though, they will texture aluminum surfaces.

Yes and that is also why I went the soda rout. Really just wanted to get all the grease that I couldn't get with washing and scrubbing. All I really was concerned with was the case and cylinders. Hoping to powder coat all the side covers or maybe just paint not sure yet. I didn't even really hit the covers much as I have better ones to use.

I was surprised the paint stripper didn't really touch the cylinder paint much that stuff is pretty tuff.

When I soda blast carbs I fully disassemble them so every thing gets cleaned and removed. Also I can wash out all the soda after. There are lots of small places for it to get.

When I soda blast carbs I fully disassemble them so every thing gets cleaned and removed. Also I can wash out all the soda after. There are lots of small places for it to get.

I am tearing them apart still as I am sure the stuff is everywhere. I just wanted to see if I could get them sort of clean. It was a quick blast and liked the after effects.

I sort of did a quick clean on them when I got the bike to get it running. I need to really go through them though.

Soda can do a lot for nasty carbs. I have done probably 30-40 sets for the xs400 and xs650 over the years. I have made some really bad stuff just like new again.

Back