I machined some intake parts. What do you think?

dannyTheBoat

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I machined some adapters to adapt my 54mm pod filters to the stock H-pipe. There's an internal taper for, ya know, velocity. It was a cool project and a clean way to use both parts at the very least. I'm excited to see how it runs with the new intake. I'm also about to install new mufflers along with re-jetting the carbs.
intake C.jpg
intake B.jpg
intake A.jpg

I have run those mikes xs pod like that before. They work better with the H-pipe but still not as good as stock or even foam uni's. I ended up just tossing them out as I couldn't even give them away. Real K&N's work better but for the cost the cheaper priced uni's had better results.

Thanks for that link. Unfortunately I learned about the limitations of those pod filters after I bought the replacements. I figure I'll just run them for now and upgrade later. I need to do an electronics project to make room for those cylindrical filters, among other things. No big deal, they're not too expensive.

@xschris do you have any tips on re-jetting for this set-up? I have 142.5 mains right now and I'm planning to go up to 145 right off the bat and see how it runs.

Every bike is different. Most people over jet these bike when they run pods or non-stock pipes. I used xs360 carbs for my bike that ran/run non-stock setups so I can say what to do. Start stock and go from there. Run the bike down the road at highway speeds and try to avoid excessive idle time. This will foal plugs quick and make tuning even harder. Lots of threads on carb jetting.

Thanks for the tips @xschris

I ran in to some problems that I'm working out but the intake and exhaust seems to be doing well. Running slightly rich so I moved the needle up one notch. Waiting for some jets to come to give that a try. I have a full update on this thread. I am still getting the hang of properly organizing my posts so I'll keep the updates to that one.

Cheers!

Thanks, I like 'em too. Hopefully I'll be able to think of more machining projects.

I did raise the c-clip one notch. I didn't know that was a standard move for this set-up. The bike was a bit sluggish at 1/4 throttle, especially at low speeds, so I thought I would try that.

Back