I took a tumble :(

The accident could have made it a little worse, but that's a mute point considering that the chain should have been replaced soon after the adjuster was set like that.

Looks to me like your sprocket and chain are worn out.I'd get a set,as that way,you'll have all new drive components and the chain alone will wear quickly if the sprockets aren't replaced.On my bike,the sprocket wasn't that bad,but I've seen chains thrown and tore bikes up,like chain covers,etc. lha

That's what a chain set is,a chain and both sprockets.I'd never replace just the chain unless I was sure that the sprockets were good. After 45+ years of riding,I can look at the sprocket and tell that it's worn and if it's got hooked teeth,usually from heavy acceleration. lha

wow good to know, one more thing to add to the list...
where does one get these? any good places online?
Thanks a lot guys

i'm starting to wonder whether i should really bother with this... i still need to get it across Canada at the end of the summer....
OK that was the blues talking.
lets get her up an running good!
do these seem ok? from what i've been able to gather the Maxim has a 16/35 with a 530-100 chain correct?
i found these, about 100 shipping included (see pictures)
i also found this:http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1982-1983-Yamaha-XS400-J-K-Roller-Chain-Sprocket-Kit-/150792531698?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231bef6ef2#shId. seems a little steep.
and this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Standard-Chain-Sprocket-Kit-Yamaha-XS400-Maxim-82-83-16-38T-/330617084197?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfa505925#ht_1408wt_1163 but it is a 16-36 combo

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
PROBLEM i noticed the chain had a lot of slack in it and that the adjuster bolts are almost all the way in ...
Hi Petei. Didn't you just buy the bike? It shouldn't have passed the safety certificate inspection with a worn out chain, so is there any chance that it's just short, the adjusters are set at maximum tightness and you have nothing but additional length adjustment? Likely not, but the photo confuses me - haven't adjusted the chain on the new xs400 yet (my 250 had slotted chain puller discs, not adjusting bolts) and it all looks backwards somehow.

If it turns out that it is a worn out chain, be careful about how many teeth you order on the sprockets unless you want more revs at speed.
On that other thread, we established that we both have 16T/35T and they run over 6,000 rpm at 100kph (62). If you get 16/36 sprockets, that rpm count will go up a couple 100 rpms.
Yesterday I ordered a 17T front (JTF-571.17) to lower my count - hopefully to around 5600 at 100 if it fits.

i found these, about 100 shipping included (see pictures)
$108 plus TAX - might be a little steep too when you consider that if something isn't right, you have to pay to ship it back again etc. At least with the outfit in the pictures you can buy the stuff individually - so you could opt for a 17T front.
The 17T I ordered yesterday was from the local bike accessory shop. It comes in Tue and will cost $23.95 - $2.00 cheaper. If your local shop can order them for the same kind of pricing, you may want to try to give them some business, save a few $$ and retain more control.

Hi Petei. Didn't you just buy the bike? It shouldn't have passed the safety certificate inspection with a worn out chain, so is there any chance that it's just short, the adjusters are set at maximum tightness and you have nothing but additional length adjustment?.

yeah, i'm going today to check it out, I think i may be able to get everything for roughly the same price at my local shop, i just haven't had the chance to go with work. I still need to get the other parts too.
there was no inspection when i bought the bike i had friend look it over before I bought it but it was already registered and good to go, all i did was go to the insurance and get a plate....

I'm a little confused about you statement about it being short. what could be short? the chain?

I'm a little confused about you statement about it being short. what could be short? the chain?
I don't know yet how the adjusters work on the Maxim. When I first saw your pics, it looked like you could turn the bolts and pull the wheel closer, thus tightening the chain - but I think I had it backwards in my mind.
In Ontario, you need a safety inspection to transfer registration, so I assumed your chain would still be good. I just had the sr250 I'm selling certified the other day and it needed a new chain ($40 including installation) before the mechanic would certify it.

Anyway, I checked out your profile and read about your trip planned for August. Lots of long, straight, flat prairie to cross - perhaps another good reason to consider a 17T on the front.

When I first saw your pics, it looked like you could turn the bolts and pull the wheel closer, thus tightening the chain - but I think I had it backwards in my mind.

Haha i know how it works and it still confuses me, but clockwise is tighter and counter-clockwise is looser. SO it really can't be tightened very much.

Anyway, I checked out your profile and read about your trip planned for August. Lots of long, straight, flat prairie to cross - perhaps another good reason to consider a 17T on the front.

agreed but I will also have it across the Rockies.... i'm going to take it apart today, take pictures, post them here. looks like this is turning into a little project.... i guess i over payed for the bike. you win some you loose some. i'll know better for next time.:shrug:

BC is a little wild west when it comes to motorcycles. You don't need to be a mechanic to work on bikes, and you don't need to get a certificate to transfer ownership. Blame the hippies.

Lou, take a look at your adjusters - as you screw the bolt in, it pulls the axle backwards. Once you're all the way in, there's no where else for the axle to go.

Petei, you could always count the links on your chain. Could be you have a 102 instead of a 100 on there (some websites list a 102 as stock for our bike, so it would have been an honest mistake.)

Petei, I was looking over the damage pictures. If you switch to mini gauges, can I have your rubber spacers from your current mounts? If you don't need them for the new ones, that is...

Petei, I was looking over the damage pictures. If you switch to mini gauges, can I have your rubber spacers from your current mounts? If you don't need them for the new ones, that is...

I'll have to see if i'll be switching over. if i need to get a new chain, sprocket set i may not get the new gauges. but i'll let you know. which spacers? the ones with the brass cylinder in the middle that slide into the triple?

looks like i'll be counting links today, yay...

Found them! Woo!

Sorry for the thread jack, but all I had to do was go through my facebook posts, find the note I made when I had opened up my gauges, look at other posts from the same time to see that I had been selling a basement futon at the same time as working on the bike. Look near the futon, and think about where I would have put down motorcycle parts (I usually reattach any small bits to bigger bits to make sure the small bits don't go missing.)

Found them in the basement, in a small parts basket (i.e. junk bin) where they had migrated, probably when my wife or the cleaners found them. Whooooo!

/threadjack.

Back