Idling issues

Jon47

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
What’s up everyone, so I went to start my bike today and I got it to start but after about 15 seconds it turned off and didn’t want to start back up. I read about a trick which is to open the chokes and throttle, kick it 3 times, close chokes and throttle and then try to start it. I’ve tried this trick on two separate occasions and it seems to get it started. Now back to today, I noticed that the idle was a bit off. It would idle at a lower rpm and then out of nowhere it would jump and idle at a higher rpm. It’s the first time she’s done this and I’m not very knowledgeable so I’m stumped. Any help?

I couldn’t attach the video to this post but the link would take you to the same video, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your going to have issues with you exhaust and carb/filter setup. Those carbs have issues right off the bat with settings and parts not being very good. Those also don't allow you to sync them with a manometer. The guys on the xs650 forum have more knowledge with the mikesxs setup than on this one. A lot of them just ditch them after a while as they never can get them to work well.

Your going to have issues with you exhaust and carb/filter setup. Those carbs have issues right off the bat with settings and parts not being very good. Those also don't allow you to sync them with a manometer. The guys on the xs650 forum have more knowledge with the mikesxs setup than on this one. A lot of them just ditch them after a while as they never can get them to work well.

So you’re saying replacing the filters with higher quality ones should be the starting point and then go from there?

Those carbs overall have inherent issues. Look at the xs650.com Thread for mikesxs carbs. A few xs400 guys have used them with some havIng lots of problems and some saying they had them close but still not right. All with lots of messing with. Mikes should not even sells these knock off carbs as a direct replacement for these bikes. Some have had some luck with real mikuni VM 30mm or 32mm ones. Just running head pipes will also cause you tuning problems and just making things harder.

Back