If I can... Sturgis on a 400?!?

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy as @#$%! But this guy on here is getting rid of another XS400, I'm close, I already got a 17 tooth front sprocket on order, could even subtract some teeth on the back. Thing is, the bike stock can do it. The guys I'd be riding with would be probably limiting their speed to around 80 tops and stock I can do it pretty rapped out around 6500 to 7K RPMs.

My one fear is losing my only bike pushing it too hard, but if I had two it might be worth the risk. Plus after building two bikes (one with all the best parts, and the other still functional), then later I can maybe sell one and get a bigger bike like an XS650 (my dream bike probably). Probably sell the good one, assuming it made it to Sturgis and back. We're all sober guys from AA and NA and would have a lot of fun but likely not get in the associated trouble so much of that kind of fun can lead to. I imagine I will take a physical beating riding that long on a tiny twin like that, but you only live once, and is it not better to regret what you have done than what you haven't?

If $ is an issue and you want to ride something will keep up with the other guys your riding with save up and get something bigger.Doesnt neccasarily have be a yamaha get honda or suzuki 650.Me personaly I would go with a Suzuki GS650 0r 750.I hope within a year I can get a larger CC bike.Nothing huge like an 1100 or anything.

Best two bikes I ever owned were a Yamaha Maxim 750 and an old '74 Honda CB750. I know this bike geared taller would keep up, it would just be wound up high to do it. Thing is one guy is my sponsor in NA (I'm clean 6+ years he has 10+ now) and he buys Royal Purple by the case, and he has a lift. My bike would be in tip top shape if I undertook such a venture.

Remember the DOHC has a bit more power than the SOHC. Not sure how much, but I'd bet it's quite noticeable.

I regularly ride out with peeps who are on 125's and 250's and i don't generally keep a high cruising speed as I need to look out for my fellow riders.

If I do get the urge, I can give it some and then wait for them to catch up at the next junction etc.

I also have ridden with Buels etc and they do the same. Its all abut respect and respect for the bike your riding.

That is a loooong ride. Especially on a small twin, I did a seven hour ride just to a nearby state on a new 1991 Honda Hawk 650 and it was barely tolerable comfort-wise towards the end. You have to be either really handy with the tools you take with you or able to accept what you're dealt with when it happens. Something WILL happen. That said if you're up for adventure, do it. Wouldn't hurt to have someone in a chase van or truck along too.

nah, I did an 11 hour ride to NW200 did 70 all the way with stops every 100 miles to fuel both bike and myself.
It lashed it down with rain most of the way

Yes, well double that and add mountains to the mix. Of course it is possible on an XS400, absolutely. I am only speaking from my p.o.v. and I like to hedge my bets on my adventures so that if the unexpected happens I can deal with it to my advantage. That's why I pack underwear.

I can only imagine what that would be like. I rode from North Bellngham to Burlington along the Chuckanut/Edison route one day (about 35m 1.5hrs) and REALLY didn't want to ride back. Then again, my bike isn't/wasn't in tip top shape and it was my first longer ride on the 400. If you end up doing it, best of luck and have fun. Some day I'd like to make the trek to Sturgis. Also, congrats on the 6+ years.

Sitting along the side of the road broke down, sore, hot, hungry, and thirsty, sounds like alot more fun then just thinking about it. I need an adventure....

Back