Igintion problem

Well that changes our diagnosis all together now. It never was the diode relay failure, it was the iconography color was all off. Take 2 beers, and call us in the morning :cheers:

I looked at my diode, its just a grey ball, with a blue mark. Pic later, maybe.

I think I had a similar problem. With my past problems, (not going to get into it now) I plugged everything in, and attempted to estart. I had no click. or anything else for the starter. (lights turned on) I pulled out the seloniod. (I had pulled it all the way off the bike)

I tested the starter. I had a spare safe wire to use, and touched the two wires together with the wire. The starter worked. (tested it twice to make sure it wasn't my imagination)

Then and Undid both the thick cables, Size 10 nuts, and re-tighten them on.

i put everything back the way its suppose to be. In fact,

I grabbed the test light, Told my wife to man the button (starter button) She pressed it once, and it worked. I had assumed my TCI/CDI was shot, so I tested it with both original, and new one. Both worked. New one first.

Actualy I have a good idea whats wrong.the estart and right side trolls have a plug that connects into the harness may have apart.The problem is I don't know where this plug is on my bike.I ordered a right hand control from a member here and his has a plug on it.So Im going to have to trace the wires coming off the switch to the plug connection on the wiring harness.I also have been so busy lately I havent even had time to look at the bike in 3 days.Tomorrow Im going to busy also,so hopefully sometime this weekend I`ll get to spend some time with the bike.Arfstrom if you get a chance to take a pic can you post the polarity of the diode?Id appreciate it.I don't want to plug it in backwards.

Last edited:
If you got the part from boats, it will have the same as OEM, so that means you can not get it backwards, unlike the radio shack. I will have Male plug in that you need to put into the female slot. So as long as you dont' have to be creative. and your original connectors are there.

The front of the bike is to the left of the photo. It shows the Blue on the left side of the ball portion.

Attachments

• IMG_20140610_220435_386.jpg
    IMG_20140610_220435_386.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 257
I will be estatic and will have to set off some fireworks to celebrate:laugh:I just wish I had the time to work on the bike,my truck needs some much needed tlc so it must be done.Bad news is that I didn't retag my bike plus canceled the insurance for this year yet cause I didn't think id be riding it.I have so much going on right its crazy:yikes:I don't want to imagine the cost of insurance on my bike and two vehicles.thats a scary thought.:yikes:

Another day no time spent with bike I got some catching up to do.Just isn't enough time in the day and what time I have goe by so fast.Hopefully sometime tomorrow I`ll get that time.

Yup, I am behind by one week, and one assignment from my last college class. Oops. Yesterday, I reported that the starter worked. Well today, the starter didn't work. and I didn't see the headlights work either (have to double check) How ever the kick start worked! then it idled at 4k rpms. So next time I work on it, i will have to take the carbs off, and clean them. Then I will need to check the electricity, and all that. So I will take a hiatus from the bike for a short duration, till I get caught up. bummer. I was hoping to take a Hiatus out in to Michigan, perhaps hit the U.P. and check out the other side of that state. Not many chances left.

I spent the whole day literaly changing out the differential axles and gears on my truck with a new friend.Thank God for his help,all the work was done old school with hand tools,my body is beat I pushed it beyond my limits physicaly.:shootme::eek:.Then another day of some charity work tomorrow.I can only hope my body doesnt feel as bad tomorrow as it does right now.Then depending on how feel I get to spend sometime on the bike.I realy hoping the plug to the estart just came loose or something simple.

I think I dislocated my left shoulder the other day working on my truck.Im in severe pain and have no use of my left arm so Im not sure when I`ll be able to get back to the bike Im going to the ER to have checked out today..:bs::shootme::(

You always here the saying about the luck of the Irish,well Im Irish all I have is bad luck:confused:
Also its been about 110* inmy building and its supposed to cool off in a couple to few days so maybe by then my shoulder will be better.

Last edited:
Ok Im about fractions of mm of putting this bike in the classifieds to part out.While checking somethings and doing more electrical testing I discover now I have no spark.Other than the igniter box/coils is there anything else that can cause no spark.If the answer is no its going on the chopping block.Also the hand controls the wires in there are 1 brown 1 red 1 blue and black on one side of the connector ,on the other side theres no black wire on the other end where it connects together.Is it supposed to be this way or am I missing a wire?

Last edited:
Ok I`ll try and get one soon,I can add this if it will help.The right hand side hand control connects inside the head light bucket.On one have theres 4 wires brown,red,blue.On the other half the plug its the same as the other side but has a black wire.

Those colors don't sound right for the right side as sitting on bike control box. It sounds more like the ign. switch as per the Diagram, but the ground(black) is not included in the plug. The pics would help.

Back