Ignition Fuse Blowing

db3

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 81 XS400H (SOHC) that keeps blowing ignition fuses when I put my bike into gear with the clutch. I can kick it into gear fine on the center stand but soon as i pull in the clutch it pops the fuse and the ignition dies. I have adjusted the clutch cable (both sides) but the rear tire does need to be worked a little to get free movement when clutch is pulled and in gear. The clutch plates and the clutch basket look good, the bike only has 9k miles on it.

My charging system seems to be fine. Alternator charges the battery around 14V.

Second main lead (3 white wires) resistances at .9 ohms (around 80 degrees F) and field coil resistance at 3.3ohms. Both of these are around twenty percent higher than they should (.72 and 4 respectively) - Does this seem out of spec for this temp?

rectifier is good.

Ignition coils good:
Right Ignition coil -primary at 3 ohms and secondary 8.66ohms
left Ignition Coil - primary at 2.9ohms and secondary 8.5ohms

Really I just need a sanity check. Does this seem like a clutch/mechanical issue or electrical?

Fuses blow because of an excessive current load. The circuit draws more amps than the fuses is rated for. Voltage has little effect on the fuses.
Your charging system has little effect on blowing fuses, it just keeps the battery charged.
I would check along the current path from the fuse along the ignition circuit. Looking for a chafed wire shorting to ground.
Leo

Back