ignition points and condensers for 81 xs400 special

teerex42

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon ya'll :)

I'm trying to find ignition points and condensers for my 1981 yamaha xs400 special. I've had little luck. Most shops around my area aren't seeing anything after 77 for some reason. Anyone know where I can find these are what part number they would be?
Thank you
Troy

You have electronic ignition, its all controlled through your tci. You shouldn't need to mess with it.

Really?? I have a friend who fixes bike who had my bike over several weeks after cleaning out my carbs for me and he checked it over. This is when I first bought it, he stated that the ignition points and condensers looked ok but should probably be replaced. The spark was god but now we're thinking that they need to be replaced cause after riding my bike for over 500 miles with no problems, it won't start at all now. Battery is a month old, cranks over fine, spark plugs are brand new..everything checks out.

Let me rephrase that, it should have electronic ignition. They started the electronic ignition in 1980. I suppose if the motor has been swapped out at some point it could have points/condenser or if someone converted it to points/condenser (wouldn't make as much sense). I would imagine you can use any set from 79 or earlier but you may wait for someone else to chime in.

Yeah in my owners workshop manual, they're calling them contact breaker points and condensers. My bike has 8400 miles on it so everything is original.

Another buddy is telling me that he is also finding it's possible that this bike does not have contact points and or condensers. I guess I'll find out tomorrow as all I'm finding is points through 79 and what I do find for 81 and beyond are the UK version of the bike. I'll post some pics of the bike tomorrow as I'm currently working right now.
Thanks

Directly below the right hand carb on the upper surface of the engine you will find a stamped number. It's very easy to find and read. Take a picture of it or just give us the first three digits of that number, it will likely be alpha/numeric. We should be able to tell you from that what engine you have.

I found out I don't have points or condensers. I have a tci as onetype mentiond (thank you onetype)
I had new spark plugs in the bike since 6/15. I ended up replacing my spark plugs again as they were fouled already. Since my one spark plug boot was damaged also, I bought a set of ngk boots that are to be twisted on. The original ones were pop off, so when I put the new set on initially, I just put the boot on without twisting it on. Once I twisted them onto the plug wire then my bike started.
Does anyone know why the plugs would get fouled so soon? I only have about 600 miles on the bike since I got it. I use premium in my tank and the oil change is fresh? Think I might have some leaky seals?? The plugs looked like they had a little bit of gas on them.
Thanks

Onetype, thanks for your info..you were correct. Bike runs good now with the exception of a little backfire nothing major at times. I wonder if some of the seals inside the motor are a little damaged from sitting so long. I only have 8800 miles on the bike now.

Back