Im guessing one shouldnt be cheap when buying a helmet?

Sesty

H.E. Pennypacker
Reaction score
i am looking to get a new brain protector soon. There is quite a HUGE selection of helmets out there and an even larger range of prices. I cant exactly afford the high end $400-900 helmets, but i dont want to skimp out and get a $70 dollar Costco one either.

Over a $100 im assuming they will all have DOT certification and close to same protection/crash ratings right? Just paying for more vents, a lighter weight, and more comfortable padding?:shrug:

how cheap is too cheap on a helmet?

Any of you ride with body armor or padding in your jackets??

Do not buy a cheap helmet and do not buy off brands, and don't buy used. Arai and Shoei are what you want, but if you choose to spend less money at least buy a helmet with fiberglass and not polycarbonate. Most off brands are cheap plastic and offer little protection. For you, I would recommend HJC. They are a good brand at affordable prices.

I agree with this: "and don't buy used." you have no way of knowing what that helmet has been through and even small impacts can degrade a helemts performance.

But off brands, cheap and poly carbonate helmets are fine as long as they have a DOT or better a Snell rating. Cheap off brands that are DOT or Snell compliant offer sufficient protection to meet those criteria, and, while I will say there are plenty of reasons to buy a more expensive helmet, any rated helmet is a good start. make sure it fits well and you're all set.

From that point look at things that might tempt you to go without. for example, a helmet that's not vented well can cause a ride in hot weather to be pretty unbearable. if you get a cheapo that's heavy, it can get really uncomfortable on a long ride. Wind Noise can also ruin things. if any of these things would make you say "screw it, I'll wear it next time" deffinately buy a better helmet!!!!! In the end you should find better performance in all of these areas with a more expensive helmet, but it's up to you to decide how much you want to spend for comfort once you've decided to ride safely.

I got my fulmer m2b for about $150. I love it and it vents well. Also love the flip down sun visor:wink2: Spend the money it could save your life.:wink2:

Attachments

• DSC02098.jpg
    DSC02098.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC02099.jpg
    DSC02099.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC02100.jpg
    DSC02100.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 385
I tried the cheap helmet route. And I can say that it was a false economy. Poor fit, optically distorted visors, heavy, and loud wind noise made me search for a better helmet. Just because a helmet meets DOT spec don't think it is worth buying. There are much better standards out there. ECE 22.05 is the benchmark in my opinion. Most Harley riders around here wear the smallest DOT helmet they can. They all have a grimace on their face when riding, and they can't wait to stop get their helmet off. I can now ride all day in all weather with a smile on my face.

I appreciate that $ is always a factor in purchasing gear, but a good helmet will make the difference between enjoying riding or not. The more you ride, the more this is true. And obviously, the better the helmet, the better your chances when you go down. I've read that Icon makes decent helmets at a reasonable price point. The Icon Variant was on my short list of helmets until I found a deal I couldn't pass on.

I bought a Schuberth S1 (new old stock). It is light (1680 grams), has a 2.5mm thick visor that is optically correct, anti-fog coatings on the visor and flip down sun visor, great venting, and is super quiet at all speeds. The colour scheme of this helmet is very noticeable and includes hi-vis green, yellow, silver, black and white in an aggressive pattern. And it has reflective panels front and rear for night visibility. And the construction of the helmet is near perfect. Not a flaw in the paint, perfectly smooth shell, comfortable and washable liner... I wish I'd waited and bought this helmet first as I'd have more $ for other gear.

White is a good colour to choose for a helmet as it stands out and is cooler in the summer. Lou Ranger wears a white helmet and he is easy to spot in traffic, despite his, err, diminutive stature. ;)

As for armor, I ride with a CE rated jacket with arm, shoulder and back protection, and retro-reflective details; CE rated armored boots; and armored gloves. Armored over pants are on my list of things to get when my budget allows. I used to ride wearing cowboy boots, until I got hit by a rock on the top of my foot. It knocked my foot off the peg and made it instantly numb. It could have been much worse, and I learned my lesson and bought good boots.

Spend your $ on quality gear and you won't regret it - until you don't wear it. All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT! Riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous and we are rather fragile beings. Taking reasonable precautions to protect yourself is a smart and considerate thing to do. Your family, friends and loved ones don't want to get called to visit you in an emergency room. Or to sign a DNR. And you probably don't want to end up an organ doner just yet.

I just picked up one of these Icon Alliance Dark helmet packs. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-alliance-dark-helmet

It has a clear and tinted visor, both anti-fog and do not distort.

The helmet looks great, fits well enough (its my fault, not the the helmets lol It seems I am between a small and a medium, which would be the case for any brand i buy)

It is very comfy, has good review, and has lots of vents to it.. Its DOT rated, and fairly light.

I haven't worn it on the road yet, but doubt i will have any issues with it.

For 150$ i couldn't find another DOT, full face, tinited and clear visor helmet, with such good venting haha

I went for something in the middle, not too expensive and from a brand (not a great brand, but a brand) and it's approved by EU safety regulations. But my advice most of all is: make sure it fits REALLY WELL. Go to a shop and try on at least 20 different helmets to compare, the expensive kind and the cheap kind. Just pretend you have money to buy an expensive one, but you want to know the difference and what you're paying for. A new helmet should fit perfectly around the top of your head, and be a little tight at your cheeks. They will shape to your head a little, and give you a bit more space over time there. Basically you shouldn't be able to stick your pinky inbetween your forehead and the helmet when you pull it forward off your head, nor between the side if you pull it that way. You should almost bite your own cheeks because of the padding pushing on them.

I bought a 140 euro full-face helmet which fit me better than most 500 euro ones. It's loud in at high speeds, because it doesn't do anything to avoid wind noise. But no helmet is going to prevent wind noise alltogether, that's why I wear earplugs for any ride over 45 mph and/or longer than 20 minutes. More expensive helmets do come with nicer visors I have to say, I may replace the one I have now.

My point was that you don't have to buy Arai and Shoei to get a quality helmet that offers the same protection.

In regards to Snell and other certifications, there's not been any evidence that those rating are more likely to save your life when in an accident. When you're going 70mph and hit a car, DOT, Snell, etc, etc rating won't matter much.

http://www.examiner.com/article/moto...ds-really-mean

"athough a DOT certified helmet is not subjected to the more stringent tests as those of a Snell helmet, it accomplishes the same, or near the same amount of protection to a rider's head during a fall or collision. "

Bottomline, if you can find a well fitting, DOT rated helmet for 60 bucks, get it. I have a cheaper HJC and I have a Shoei...I've never once thought "Man, this Shoei makes my ride sooooo much better than the HJC", but as with anything, your might have a different experience.

Charles, I have to disagree with many of your points. (And your link doesn't work).

I've spoken with a guy who hit a car at speed earlier this year. More precisely, his bike hit the car when he was cut off. He went over the car and came to a stop 200' or more down the road. His helmet (BMW made by Schuberth) took 3 distinct hits, probably bouncing off the road, but was still intact. A lesser helmet may not have fared as well. He had whiplash, a broken leg, and lots of bruising internally and externally. He is back riding and I'll be having dinner with him in a few hours. :thumbsup:

There is a HUGE difference between a $60 helmet and a $500+ helmet, regardless of certifications (and DOT is a joke). Plastic shell vs. Kevlar. Single vs. multiple shells. One size fits all shell vs. different sized shells. 2000+ grams vs. 1700 grams. Styrofoam internal padding vs. multiple layers of different foams. Thin Plexiglas visor that distorts vision and will shatter vs. thick, coated, optically correct visor that has been tested to withstand hits. Cheap fixed liner vs. removable, washable, moisture wicking liner...

I could go on. But the point is that with helmets, there is a lot more to consider than just the sticker on the back of it. And to the OP: This time of year is a great time to get a deal at "end of season" sales. Check out the features of the expensive helmets to get a feel for what is available. As others have said, find a helmet that fits you properly. Then buy the features you can afford! :bike:

Good stuff

im hoping since my bday and xmas is around the corner, i can get my girlfriend and my family to hook it up with money for a good helmet that fits

Do your research! Find out what shape your head is and which helmets fit you. Then talk to your family. Be prepared with notes on features and comparisons between different helmets at different price points. I doubt that they will opt for the cheapest option...

Be prepared with notes on features and comparisons between different helmets at different price points.

Believe me, my parents would want to see bar graphs and spread sheets...maybe even a powerpoint if there is time...

My uncle has around 9 bikes in his garage and i know he has some body armor/protection that he let me borrow... looking into an under-armor type shirt with integrated pads on the chest/elbows/shoulders and back for under my jacket as well.

I would like to look into that padded shirt option as well lol I wasn't sure if it was something that existed, keep us posted on that as well!

Charles, I have to disagree with many of your points. (And your link doesn't work).

I've spoken with a guy who hit a car at speed earlier this year. More precisely, his bike hit the car when he was cut off. He went over the car and came to a stop 200' or more down the road. His helmet (BMW made by Schuberth) took 3 distinct hits, probably bouncing off the road, but was still intact. A lesser helmet may not have fared as well. He had whiplash, a broken leg, and lots of bruising internally and externally. He is back riding and I'll be having dinner with him in a few hours. :thumbsup:

There is a HUGE difference between a $60 helmet and a $500+ helmet, regardless of certifications (and DOT is a joke). Plastic shell vs. Kevlar. Single vs. multiple shells. One size fits all shell vs. different sized shells. 2000+ grams vs. 1700 grams. Styrofoam internal padding vs. multiple layers of different foams. Thin Plexiglas visor that distorts vision and will shatter vs. thick, coated, optically correct visor that has been tested to withstand hits. Cheap fixed liner vs. removable, washable, moisture wicking liner...

I could go on. But the point is that with helmets, there is a lot more to consider than just the sticker on the back of it. And to the OP: This time of year is a great time to get a deal at "end of season" sales. Check out the features of the expensive helmets to get a feel for what is available. As others have said, find a helmet that fits you properly. Then buy the features you can afford! :bike:

I think we're all aware that there's more to consider than the rating. I already addressed that. And sorry, but the only way to show any difference, with your friend, would be to go back in time, change helmets and see the results. Again, bottom line, while the "standards" for SNELL might be "higher", that doesn't actually relate to any real life saving prevention.

Here's the article I tried to link to.
http://www.examiner.com/article/motorcycle-helmets-what-do-dot-and-snell-standards-really-mean

Read up. DOT isn't a joke. Don't buy into the hype. If you really feel your $500 helmet increases your riding experience that much, by all means, buy it. Like I said, I can't really tell any difference between my HJC and Shoei, as it relates to my riding experience. I'll save the cash and spend it on gas and food when I'm out riding. :)

You are missing the obvious: The DOT spec is the lowest of the standards and the testing procedure is a joke - test 1 helmet once with outdated tests and get certified. The ECE spec is higher than DOT in all comparable tests. SNELL is far superior to DOT in every aspect, and requires random test samples through the production run. If a sample fails, certification is removed. All of the ECE / SNELL standards will potentially save your life. That is the whole purpose! For example applied G-forces: DOT is 400G's, ECE and SNELL are 275G's. You are much less likely to suffer brain damage with lower g-forces. Unfortunately, helmets with internal sun visors can't meet SNELL standards, so I bought a helmet that meets or exceeds DOT and ECE standards.

The article you are referencing is from 2010, was written by a journalist with no actual qualifications who no longer writes for that rag, and it contains virtually no facts and a lot of conjecture. Hardly reference quality material.

Like I've already pointed out, there are many different factors to consider, and after owning 2 cheap helmets, and now a good one, I can say for certain that there is a huge difference in quality and comfort between a $60 DOT certified helmet made in China and a $500+ DOT / ECE certified helmet made in Europe. I ride a fair bit and in all weather. It only took a rainy night to confirm that I'd spent wisely. And since I no longer get headaches from looking through crappy distorted visors, that alone is worth the price to me. The substantially reduced wind and engine noise has eliminated the need for ear plugs, and that will probably save me $15 a month. The comfortable liner and better fit...

If you can't tell the difference between helmets, then enjoy the cheap ones. I'm certainly enjoying my expensive helmet and all the tangible benefits it brings!

That all makes good sense Dave, not all standards are equal.

Also, i looked further into that Icon Alliance helmet i posted (and bought) and it is DOT and ECE certified, as well as SAI and SG (the Australia and Japan standards). Which makes me feel a bit better after reading your post haha

Back