Im guessing one shouldnt be cheap when buying a helmet?

Like I said earlier, the Icon Variant was on my short list. Icon are making well spec'd and certified helmets and bringing them to market at great price points. The Alliance may be an entry level helmet, but it has some great features. If it fits you well, I'm confident you will be happy with it.

You are missing the obvious: The DOT spec is the lowest of the standards and the testing procedure is a joke - test 1 helmet once with outdated tests and get certified. The ECE spec is higher than DOT in all comparable tests. SNELL is far superior to DOT in every aspect, and requires random test samples through the production run. If a sample fails, certification is removed. All of the ECE / SNELL standards will potentially save your life. That is the whole purpose! For example applied G-forces: DOT is 400G's, ECE and SNELL are 275G's. You are much less likely to suffer brain damage with lower g-forces. Unfortunately, helmets with internal sun visors can't meet SNELL standards, so I bought a helmet that meets or exceeds DOT and ECE standards.

The article you are referencing is from 2010, was written by a journalist with no actual qualifications who no longer writes for that rag, and it contains virtually no facts and a lot of conjecture. Hardly reference quality material.

Like I've already pointed out, there are many different factors to consider, and after owning 2 cheap helmets, and now a good one, I can say for certain that there is a huge difference in quality and comfort between a $60 DOT certified helmet made in China and a $500+ DOT / ECE certified helmet made in Europe. I ride a fair bit and in all weather. It only took a rainy night to confirm that I'd spent wisely. And since I no longer get headaches from looking through crappy distorted visors, that alone is worth the price to me. The substantially reduced wind and engine noise has eliminated the need for ear plugs, and that will probably save me $15 a month. The comfortable liner and better fit...

If you can't tell the difference between helmets, then enjoy the cheap ones. I'm certainly enjoying my expensive helmet and all the tangible benefits it brings!

You're missing the obvious that no matter how high a standard is...it won't matter. Again, you're assuming that a higher rating equates to more protection. It doesn't. There's only so much protection you can give to your brain, and the DOT standards meet that. Anything above that is excessive and pointless, but again, if you feel more safe in a $500 helmet, by all means, spend that cash.

This goes into more detail about the physics behind it all...with numbers and such so you can feel better about its validity.
http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

And I'm not talking about features and the quality of those features. I'm only talking about the how the various standard do, or don't equate to protecting your brain.

So, according to you, LESS G-Force applied to my brain is NOT safer for me? Because that is what ECE 22.05 and SNELL require and what I prefer.

DOT spec only requires that your brain stay mostly inside the helmet. If that is good enough for you, fill your boots...

The features I desire in a helmet are only found in high end helmets. And those features make riding much more enjoyable. Again, if you can't appreciate the difference, don't buy an expensive helmet.

Bottom line: We should agree to disagree, because it is obvious that you don't understand what the standards actually are, and your references are all unqualified third party opinions, that are years out of date.

Here in the land of kangaroos and meat pies we only have 1 standard. Both a $60 half helmet and a $1,000 Arai meet the standard so according to the government they both provide the same level of safety. If you buy exactly the same helmet from another country it will not have the Aussie standard sticker and then you are breaking the law and you will be fined as if you were wearing no helmet at all.
How's that for messed up logic. :wtf:

Posted via Mobile

Sounds like a logical revenue grab to me.
Do foreign tourists bringing their bikes over to tour the country get an exemption for their helmets or do they have to buy new ones just for their Aussie vacations?

Pork Chop: You may have one legal standard, but that doesn't mean you can't buy a helmet that meets it and meets SNELL or some other higher standard as well.

To everyone arguing all standards are the same, i promise you they are not, and they matter lol As an engineer i deal with them daily.

The examples Dave has pointed out are fairly clear. Its like saying "I can hit you in the head with my hand, or i can hit you with this metal pipe?" Both will hurt, but one hurts more.

Helmets held to a higher standard code let LESS FORCE through to the rider on impact. Therefore they are 'better' helmets. This is typical of national systems, if the government has lower standards it allows more companies to produce products and thus higher revenue for everyone, so holding a very high national standard makes little sense even though in this case it would save lives, or at least time spend in the hospital.

EDIT: Charles, I read that article and from what i took away was this
1. The article states that SNELL helmets ARE designed better, to a higher standard
2. They say that in any crash that would destroy a DOT helmet would likely kill you by injuries sustained through the rest of the body anyway
3. SNELL tests are more rigorous, and hold 'unrealisticly high standards" Such as repeatitive impact with smaller objects.
4. The article states a 200G threshold is safe, and all numbers under 200G are essentially equal (ie- 5G impacts are same as 150G impacts since they are both under the threshold)

From those main points i would STILL rather have a SNELL rated helmet, i would rather have a 5G impact then a 150G rated impact any day, anyone who says otherwise is free to come over and i'll show you the difference :p

Also - DOT standards are focused on flat impacts, where SNELL holds higher standards for irregular object impacts. So when you fall off your bike and your head swipes that road barrier pole, you'd be better off in a SNELL, or if your in a wreck and your head hits that curb, or rock on the side of the road, SNELL would be safer.

I also don't feel comfortable saying "Well if my helmet fails my body will be effed anyway so why bother!?" because i wear proper gear, or excessive gear to prevent that, i want my helmet to still be functioning.

Basically SNELL seems like it tests for the 'odd case' that 5% chance, DOT ignores it and says it won't happen. Well it does, every once in a while and if I happen to be that 'odd case' i'd like to still be alive.

Last edited:
Just search for a Snell helmet that fits and you are comfortable wearing....Look at a white one, you can always sticker it up....Snell is the way to go....Spad

Interesting views by Drs. Hurt (what are the odds?) and Newman ("an actual rocket scientist"), which would seem to indicate that the Snell outfit is less interested in up to date medical input than it is in preserving the legacy/philosophy of its founder, Snively (are you kidding me?) - who was a Dr. - but not a rocket scientist.

And then, just when I am ready to go with the rocket scientist, I remember "Dr." Sheldon Cooper's comment to his sister when she mistakenly referred to him as a rocket scientist ...
Sheldon:
. . . . . . . "My God! Why don’t you just tell them I’m a toll taker at the Golden Gate Bridge?
. . . . . . . .
Rocket scientist, how humiliating."

This is the best article I have ever read on the subject of helmets. (It got the assistant editor of motorcyclist magazine fired because it angered helmet manufacturers and hurt their bottom line advertising revenue) it was originally published in the new york times i believe

Blowing the lip off

Interesting read with input from both sides. I was pleased to see that my helmet was the second best tested by the magazine, even if their testing was potentially flawed. And their testing didn't take into account other factors like helmet retention, comfort, weight, ventilation, eye protection, noise, aerodynamics, or any other factors that are important when considering a helmet.

If you ride a motorcycle,you will go down, it is so written..I have raced sports cars, ridden motorcycles and always had a Snell Helmet. We are talking about California in the late 60's when I first used a helmet, a Snell Helmet...I still have my Snell Helmet from the 60's, with its scratches, scrapes from going down a few times....I have raced over the years and always a Snell Helmet...You can find them at reasonable prices..A few months ago someone from our local club had a friend who launched over the handlebars, with a DOT approved open face helmet, woke up after 30 days in a coma, has major injuries to an eye socket, gonna have to have her face rebuilt among other things...So much for DOT...I wear a full face helmet,Snell approved, replace it when the new standard comes out or earlier...By the way, I went over the bars with that original Snell helmet and walked away none the worse for wear, course I keep that helmet with its war scars as a reminder why I still use a Snell helmet...It's your head...Most people only have one with no spares...Spad

ive been looking at the sub $200 DOT helmets.

I really like the ones with the internal Sun Visors. seems to make sense to have the option of sun protection at all times.

considering the HJC IS-16 Full face helmet ~$150
http://www.revzilla.com/product/hjc-is-16-solid-helmet

or the Nolan N90 Ncom Modular ~$199 found them on ebay for $170 shipped.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n90-n-com-helmet

both come with good reviews and similar feedback on wind noise and ventilation.

Does anyone recommend a Modular design over fixed design?
anyone have experience with either of these helmets in the past?

Looking to pull the trigger on one tonight before i do something crazy like pay my loans.

Modular (flip) helmets are very convenient. But they have more seams so they are prone to wind noise and water leaks. If you wear prescription glasses for driving/riding, you smoke, like to stay hydrated, or want to be social with others at traffic lights, modular helmets are a good compromise.

I 'retired' my modular when I bought a high-end fullface helmet. I miss the convenience of flipping up the chin-bar and grabbing a sip of coffee during my morning commute. But the reduced wind noise and lack of water leaks when riding in the rain makes up for it.

You will have to pick your compromises. But I wouldn't settle for a helmet with less than ECE 22.05 certification, as previously discussed...

can spend another 28 bucks and get one that is DOT and ECE Cert. the Nolan n91 Modular

its a newer 2014 helmet w improved vents.

thinking going white, seems w it would be more noticeable on top of my black jacket.

measured my head 22.5 in, fitted hat size 7 1/4 should be good w a Med. My roommate has both a small Nolan which was wayyyy to tight and Large which was too big...Free Shipping and exchanges.

I wouldn't make my determination based on the sunshield unless you go to a store and try them and compare. My first helmet had a really good one - blocked most of the sun but one could see clearly.
My new (white) modular ZOX is superior in every respect except for the sunshield. Lousy colouring, poor sun dimming and almost no glare reduction. I end up hardly using it at all and, instead relying on prescription sunglasses worn underneath the clear visor.
You should buy the one that feels best on your head if the safety ratings are equal - which means you likely shouldn't order one shipped to you but should go to a large shop and try on all kinds. If they allow exchanges, how do you know you aren't getting an exchanged one that someone dropped or which was re-fitted/repaired?

well its not off ebay, and its new in box. the same could be said for large shops that allow returns or exchanges.

my roommate has a nolan modular from two years ago and hasnt complained and the reviews have been rather good on several sites. if this one is terrible or distorts my vision i will return it. will see how it goes next week when it gets here.

I've had quite a few helmets on so far, but despite my average (medium) sized head, not many of them actually fit. It's more about shape than about actual circumference and that sort of thing. It is definitely a big gamble to order something online. Just go to a big store and try all of them on, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Back