Im guessing one shouldnt be cheap when buying a helmet?

You can see it on youtube. I did a lot of research on helmets a year ago. My conclusion was to drive safely, wear a full face, and do my best to avoid ever hitting my head on the ground.

I read so many of these papers that my eyes swam in my head.

Feel free to read through it all like I did. Boring shit.

http://www.smf.org/standards/m/2015/M2015FinalFinal.pdf

and the article I read explaining the actual danger to your brain trusting the outdated snell standard that is lower than the new ECE standard

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Dave, feel free to read these. Rolex will get you mugged and killed. Timex won't.

Last edited:
I have read those, thanks Drewcifer. The Snell M2015 standards are the latest standards from Snell. The NYTimes article referenced is from September 27, 2009. I don't see how it is relevant, it is 4 years out of date and references old standards.

One thing that some people are seeming to not understand is that for a helmet to be legal for use in North America, it must meet or exceed DOT standards - according to the promise of the manufacturer. Snell certification is an additional certification that manufacturers may choose to apply for, that requires random testing of production helmets. ECE certification is, again, an additional certification.

Regardless of the Snell or ECE standards, a helmet still has to meet or exceed DOT standards for it to be legal for use in North America. So, if a DOT test requires a higher level of protection than Snell or ECE, the helmet has to meet or exceed that DOT requirement. The important thing to note is that a helmet with multiple certifications will offer as good, or better, protection than a helmet that is only DOT certified.

I have chosen an ECE / DOT certified helmet that can't be Snell certified because it has an internal retractable sun visor. I'm fine with that. The argument of cost vs performance of a helmet is up to the wearer. I opted for an expensive helmet as it offers the features I want. And I got it for a great price so it wasn't too expensive, in my opinion, even though it cost more than many of our bikes are valued at.

Dave, you and I are both passionate about safety, we both loathe the skullcaps, and we both read the data.

You can imagine a Guy that reads research data shopping for a helmet! Neurotic hilarity ensues. I ended up with a modular seven zero seven. My previous was a 1969 bell open face! Talk about dangerous.

I suggest a snug fitting helmet, full face. Baby shampoo will reduce fogging, lightly applied to the visor if that's an issue on budget helmets.

The article is old. The helmets still exist.

I don't care to debate TBI prevention anymore, as we've both concluded differently. I will sign off as I always do, saying RIDE SAFE!

... Baby shampoo will reduce fogging, lightly applied to the visor if that's an issue on budget helmets ...
I didn't think I had a budget helmet, but I sure do have a fogging problem in this cooler weather and I'm tired of flipping the visor up a notch ever time I slow down or come to a stop. I'm willing to try anything.
What's the best way to apply the Baby shampoo - apply it full strength then wipe and buff it off, or dilute it and then let a thin film evaporate?
Inside surface only, or both?

Last edited:
I've had good results using dish washing soap. One drop on the inside of the visor and use a finger to to wipe it all over. Allow to dry for a couple hours and then buff lightly with a micro-fiber towel. Got me through ice racing at -15C with virtually no fogging even when I was breathing hard and sweating from the exertion. The lemon fresh scent isn't objectionable either. ;)

I'm a mover and this weekend I helped move Bell helmets and after the job was up they let me buy one of there factory fault helmets for 30$ and I believe it was 200+ msrp. Factory fault just means it was scratched or something. It also has an anti fogging visor.

Back