Intro: '81 XS250 to XS400 Brat Tracker

RyanJL

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is a long overdue intro... I still haven't done one since signing up in 2013! This is my 1981 XS250 SE with an XS400 engine and other mods.

I've had the bike for almost eight years now, but it has been off the road for the last two. Right now I'm in the process of reviving it and upgrading a few things to have it ready to ride again in time for the Aussie summer this year.

Here's how it has looked for the last four years or so:

IMG_3341.jpg

IMG_9725.JPG

Some of the mods:
400cc engine conversion (5E8)
Mikuni VM32 carbs w/ K&N filters
Custom extended swing arm
Custom seat loop to suit Nitroheads seat
Powdercoated frame/forks/wheels
Firestone Deluxe Champion tyres
Magura clutch lever and master cylinder
Bore-Ace handlebar
Slotted brake rotor
Trojan tapered turbo mufflers and wrapped headers
HEL braided brake line
Posh instruments and taillight/plate holder
Goods Japan indicators and headlight bracket
Dime City headlight 5-3/4”
Mostyn rear suspension
530 o-ring chain

At the moment I'm in the process of fitting a new wiring loom, lithium battery, TCI ignition upgrade, tuck-roll seat, rearsets, custom front fender/fork brace and a few other things.

If anybody is able to help out with an ignition timing question I'd appreciate that here: http://www.xs400.com/threads/best-ignition-timing-setup-points-to-tci-swap.20072/

Looking forward to contributing here and in the Facebook group.

Cheers,
Ryan

Last edited:
Set the timing using the alt rotor and a timing light like you are supposed to. With pipes and carbs like that there is no reason why you can't advance the timing over OEM spec by maybe .5 mm., I've done it on a lot of different bikes with light mods and they like it.

Hi all,

This is a long overdue intro... I still haven't done one since signing up in 2013! This is my 1981 XS250 SE with an XS400 engine and other mods.

I've had the bike for almost eight years now, but it has been off the road for the last two. Right now I'm in the process of reviving it and upgrading a few things to have it ready to ride again in time for the Aussie summer this year.

Here's how it has looked for the last four years or so:

View attachment 35735

View attachment 35736

Some of the mods:
400cc engine conversion (5E8)
Mikuni VM32 carbs w/ K&N filters
Custom extended swing arm
Custom seat loop to suit Nitroheads seat
Powdercoated frame/forks/wheels
Firestone Deluxe Champion tyres
Magura clutch lever and master cylinder
Bore-Ace handlebar
Slotted brake rotor
Trojan tapered turbo mufflers and wrapped headers
HEL braided brake line
Posh instruments and taillight/plate holder
Goods Japan indicators and headlight bracket
Dime City headlight 5-3/4”
Mostyn rear suspension
530 o-ring chain

At the moment I'm in the process of fitting a new wiring loom, lithium battery, TCI ignition upgrade, tuck-roll seat, rearsets, custom front fender/fork brace and a few other things.

If anybody is able to help out with an ignition timing question I'd appreciate that here: http://www.xs400.com/threads/best-ignition-timing-setup-points-to-tci-swap.20072/

Looking forward to contributing here and in the Facebook group.

Cheers,
Ryan
nice bike, great job!

Back