Intro and Build

That's the dilemma Ivor, I agree with you, HT and Crush that 1 o'clock looks best but thinking of riding in the rain (let's be honest, it happens a lot here) would I get water thrown up my back.

Also the fact that the chain will stretch and the wheel need adjusting is playing into my thinking.

How much do modern chains stretch? There is loads of room for the rear axel to adjust but I cannot believe the chain would stretch so much.

SOLUTION!!! 1:30. It still keeps more of the look as well as giving you a bit more rain protection. Best of both worlds

I agree with the above Cad, and those bars are the Biz BTW.

here is a picture of me tracker and standard if you want to "go Compare, go Compare"

xs400-2007.jpg

87381603.jpg

How much do modern chains stretch? There is loads of room for the rear axel to adjust but I cannot believe the chain would stretch so much.

They do stretch a bit, but not by as much as you have axle adjustment. Most of that is so you can fit different size sprockets and still make the chain fit. Then you need to have room to allow for when the chain stretches. I would say half of the slot is to allow for different sprocket and chain lengths, and half is to allow for the stretch. That's just a guess though.

The fender could be mounted in a way so that it could slide forward or backward to always hug the tire. You would need the mount to have slots just like the axle plates do.

do you find that going over bumps ever causes the fender to rub since you dont have a rear support?

Cool thread Cad, love the dedication building the bike in your room, Ive got a 4.2 nitrited Jag 6cyl crank and a nice set of American racing rims in my room, just for inspiration.

those bmw bars look great, I think for having no definite image of what you want the bike too look like you have great taste in the small bits (love the small front fender, fork brace and directional switch)

keep up the good work

Cheers mate :thumbsup: Everthing feels like it's going a bit slow at the moment and with the weather being good in London it's a tad frustrating :( In the process of trying to sort out a stretch and brace of the swingarm and rear fender fitment. When that's finished it's time to break out the rattle cans (or PC) and start to actually build the thing.....

its always nice to see it come together. Seems like a mount like crush had would work nicely for the fender, or make a sheetmetal splash pan under the seat and down twards the swingarm to eliminate the fender all together?

that tarnished clean metal of your engine looks is cool as well, in between polished and dirty makes it look worn in

Bit of an update...

Finally got the swingarm and rear mudguard sorted out. Found a bloke with his own little fabrication business not too far outside London who let me stand there making "helpful" comments while he did the hard work. Swingarm stretched 70mm and then braced in the Joe Wiseguy style with 25mm tubing.

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20280.JPG

10mm round bar struts curved and bent into shape with bungs on the end. The chainguard hole was taped for the bolt and a corresponding hole drilled and taped the other side. A Lowbrow Customs tech article the inspiration for this.

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20281.JPG

Then finally taking some more inspiration (sounds better than copying :laugh:) from our very own Crush, some brackets were fabricated and welded to the mudguard and fastened to slotted tabs welded to the inside of the swingarm to hold the rear of the mudguard.

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20282.JPG

A small bit of cleaning of the welds and the mudguard trimmed to its final size and it will be done. I didn't go too crazy with the length of the stretch, I just wanted to get rid of the tucked in look of the rear wheel and I like the look of the brace.

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20283.JPG

The stretch has obviously dropped the rear end a bit putting the same size shock back on. Not sure if I'm going to keep it lower (would have to drop the front a bit) or get some longer shocks. I think I'm going to live with it for a while (literally) before I decide.

Thanks

hey Cad that is the dogs danglies. :thumbsup:

I was kinda looking at my swing arm for a brace, but its gone to powder now, but I do have an XJ box section swing arm I am going to use and will update when time and money present itself.

Back