Intro and Question

Ace4569

Original XS400 Chick
Reaction score
Hello my name is Katey. I am thinking of getting an xs400 for my first bike it is an 82 and it's 400 bucks. Are there any problems known about 82s or anything I should look for when checking out the bike.

Hello my name is Katey. I am thinking of getting an xs400 for my first bike it is an 82 and it's 400 bucks. Are there any problems known about 82s or anything I should look for when checking out the bike.
Does the bike run at the moment? That would be my only concern at that price. If it does, I say go for it. These bikes are reliable, and very easy to ride. There aren't any MAJOR issues that they have as far as I know, but someone with a little more knowledge in the subject (calling you, Drewpy!! haha) would be able to give more info and answer most any question you could have. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!!

Welcome Katey

just make sure the oil is good as a neglected engine is trouble with these. The cam bearings run directly in the head so its new head job if worn. cam chains can go slack but its usually due to wear in the guides.

always best to hear it run

simple engines and great fun... go for it

I asked the guy who I may be getting it from. I am totally excited about this. I think it's a great bike. Hopefully good for beginners. Looks solid and easy to work with. The guy said the only problems are...

1) it doesn't like to start on cold days.

2) The rear brakes need to be replaced

(quoted from e-mail)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/handsomematt/sets/72157625283459304/

These are pictures of the bike. Any feedback would be awesome. I really want this bike and I would love to become part of this community

:thumbsup:Ace

it don't like to start on cold days coz its got pods on it and probably not changed the jets to compensate.

looks a bit neglected but if you are prepared to do a bit of work, it will be a good project.

I seen this bike on Ebay awhile back.....is that where you are buying it from? Like Drewpy said, it does look a bit neglected, but with a little time, hard work, and knowledge you'll pick up here, you'll have it feeling much better!!

It's on craigslist I'm in ohio were it is. Is it a serious costly problem? I don't know much about bikes and I am up for a project but I also want something I can ride ASAP. Like I said though I want to turn this bike into a project but for now I need to get the basics down and I really want this to be my first bike. Thanks alot though. It's awesome to have feedback before deciding on a big decision. I haven't found many older bikes I like but when I saw this one it was like love at first sight. I really do want this bike but I don't have a ton of money to put into it.

Last edited:
If you want to keep it pretty stock for now to use as a daily runner I don't think it should cost you too much money...it looks in ok shape to me from the photo's, but hearing it running would be a help as Drewpy said.

People tend to change out the steering head bearings for tapers and maybe the plastic swing arm bushes for the bronze ones if you are going to put plenty of miles on it. That would tighten up the steering and tracking in corners no end.

So many people on this forum (me included :D) have chopped the S**T out of their bikes so there must be a ton of spare stock parts floating around amoung the people on here. If you need any replacement parts ask here first before trying any ebay rip-off artists.

Caddy

Welcome to the forum by the way :thumbsup:

I think the most important thing is to make sure the compression is OK. Can you arrange to have it checked or know someone with a gauge that you can borrow?

Buy it - change the oil, filter and spark plugs, replace the needed brake pads inflate the tires dump some Tectron in the fuel to help clean up the carbs and go for ride - a long ride.

Do upgrade when you feel the need.

:bike:

Back