Intro & Kickstart Problems

mdrotts

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New to this site. It is great so far. Tons of useful info.
To start out I picked up a 77' XS 400 for 170.00$. This is my first motorcycle. (My thing are snowmobiles) The bike hadn't run for a couple years, and hadn't been licensed for 25 years.

I got it going fairly easily. Checked compression and am running about 125-130 on both. Took out carbs, cleaned them. It runs super smooth. Does have a slight leak from the right side plug. (Not sure how to fix that).

The recent problem that just occurred is that my kickstart feels as if it is stripped. (The lever and spline are in great shape) I couldn't even show off how well the bike runs tonight because the bastard won't turn over now... Just feels as if there is nothing touching on the kickstart. I cracked the bottom part of the engine open and looked inside, but there looks to be nothing wrong. All the teeth look great, and didn't find any metal anywhere. The only thing that I can think of is the return spring? But why would that cause the kickstart to slip?

Any insight would be great. Thanks

Also looking for some brake calipers. Front and back. Mine are pretty rusty and pitted.

Before I broke my kickstart (3 years ago) I took the side off, and tried to kickstart it with out the side, on. Don't do that. (look up broken journal) I was able to get a new kickstart spring, 3 years ago. I think that sometimes some moisture my get into the case, and screw with some springs.(rust) since you have already taken off the side to look in, go all the way, and double check. Pull out the kickstarter, (review everything on this website first, so you don't get surprised by something. (perhaps your journal is already broken) We have 2 manuals here, on the top of the garage section, is called manual, and then recently a repost of Free manual

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14495 re-run of ...
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10715 Willems "bunch of 'How To's" in a thread.

Which still doesn't detract from the sites normal tools, (google search 'top left') The Topic drop down, great for tunnelling into the issue that is driving you nuts! Of course I can't forget to ask you to Leave a little something about you, and (short bio) mr Grand Rapids.

Chances are, I got the problem wrong, but the seach tecniques, or the manual, will the right answers you need.

Before I broke my kickstart (3 years ago) I took the side off, and tried to kickstart it with out the side, on. Don't do that. (look up broken journal) I was able to get a new kickstart spring, 3 years ago. I think that sometimes some moisture my get into the case, and screw with some springs.(rust) since you have already taken off the side to look in, go all the way, and double check. Pull out the kickstarter, (review everything on this website first, so you don't get surprised by something. (perhaps your journal is already broken) We have 2 manuals here, on the top of the garage section, is called manual, and then recently a repost of Free manual

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14495 re-run of ...
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10715 Willems "bunch of 'How To's" in a thread.

Which still doesn't detract from the sites normal tools, (google search 'top left') The Topic drop down, great for tunnelling into the issue that is driving you nuts! Of course I can't forget to ask you to Leave a little something about you, and (short bio) mr Grand Rapids.

Chances are, I got the problem wrong, but the seach tecniques, or the manual, will the right answers you need.
Thanks for the reply Arfstrom,

I did find the problem. It was the clutch. The Black plug on the left side of the bike, I had to take that off loosen the screw and tighten that stuff up a bit. Clutch cable isn't great now, but I can still shift.

That was easy enough, I suppose you have allready checked the handle grip? made sure it was adjusted right too? (should a willem thread on that)
as long as your looking at one end of the clutch cable, might as well looke at the other end.
Tobie

Back