Intro: Lots of cursing and a eventually an 79 XS Rebuild.

Wow. That pic reminded me of the carlsbad caverns. That's pretty scary. I'm glad the inside doesn't look like that.

Maybe it's just me, but if there's nothing wrong with it, don't f with it. Head gaskets deal with tremendous pressure and heat - more than any other gasket or mated surface on your bike. If you start to pull it apart, you may create a problem that you don't want.

Just my .02
It looked like he already took off all of the gaskets that hold any real pressure. :shrug: Like I said: I'm paranoid, so to me the extra effort would be worth the peace of mind, even if everything was in good shape. I don't expect anything to be bad, but the only way to know is to look at it. I'd probably only take an extra hour anyway, since everything is already out, "in for an ounce, in for a pound", amiright? Although, if you are super anxious to get going, you can just check for play in the pistons and shafts and call it good: the crank uses plane bearings, which don't usually go bad for no good reason. Dealer's choice, and all that.

In the interest of science (and more photos) the devil on my shoulder tells me he wants to see the rest of the engine. It would also cure your paranoia!

On the other hand it is just going to pile the work on the bike and its a long road from a dissassembled engine to a bike you can cruise down the block. 30,000 clicks and assuming this bike was driven only 25 years of its life still only 1,200 clicks a year, this thing is barely worked in. I am a firm believer that my exhaust will sound mean with some black lungs. That bee on the other hand could cause a nasty cough.

Doubtful it went in through the air filters... probabally crawled in the pipes when the bike was off.... what a bad way to wake up in the morning.

Hey thanks for all the advice and input so far, its the beautiful thing about forums is the advice is saved for later prospecting. Well I'm alive and so is my bike, had to do a mad rebuild on the motor so I did not get to check the piston ring but they looked good, I also looked inside the the crank case and things were really clean but unfortunately time limited me on my ability to do the proper checkup, we will see. I plan on continuing to update this thread on perhaps the slowest rebuild ever now that I have the time again. - new pictures and details to come, cheers.

Last edited:
I worked on the tank shape and paint for fun, I changed the shape with some bondo to give it some hard lines, I like how it turned out. Not sure about the 'rat-rod' paint job on the tank, I might go to just a Grey or Black, but it was fun not really a priority just something fun to mess around with.

20130924_212235-1024x576.jpg

So I got a new front master cylinder of ebay; It went on smooth and the connections all synced up. However the bleeder valve on the front calliper broke off, no worries it was beer time by that point. If I have learned one thing about old things, it that when you start to fix them, the things you thought were fine will usually break; that is what will take the longest to fix.

20130924_212304-1024x576.jpg

20130924_212218.jpg

Back